CHAPTER 2

Maplepaw ran through Thunder forest, her paws barely touching the grass. A half moon smiled through the old oaks and beech trees above, making her white patches shine like fresh snow. Snow... She'd only seen snow once before, a brief glimpse from inside the nursery, yet in her mind she could picture it vividly: the way its crust held the glitter of Silverpelt, how soft and wet it was underpaw, how it gave way when she put her weight on it.

An owl hooted above, its wings stretching long enough to touch the stars. I'm dreaming, thought Maplepaw; this must be a dream. The owl looked straight through her, and when she looked down, she could see the grass through her pelt.

There was something wrong. Eyes watched her from the trees, and suddenly the starlight faded, and the moon disappeared behind a cloud. "Hello?" she called, fluffing out her fur instinctively. "Who's there? Can you see me?"

You've forgotten yourself, a voice whispered. You've forgotten your rage. You were a queen among the evil ones, the starless ones. You were a matriarch of murder.

Come back to us, said another voice. Come back to the shade.

"Who are you?" Maplepaw's voice trembled. "Leave me alone!"

Don't you want to be a warrior? A deputy? The voice purred. Leader?

"Sure," she said in a small voice. "One day, maybe."

We can show you how.

Mapledaw woke with a start to find Bloompaw's tail laying on her snout. Just a dream, she thought, breathing heavily. Just a dream. Light from the three-quarters moon shone through the brambles woven around the den entrance.

"StarClan above, Maple! Can't you keep it down?" Frecklepaw growled from the other side of the apprentice den. "Some of us are trying to sleep." She flicked her tail crossly. "I bet when you're warrior they'll call you Maplescreech."

"And I bet they'll change your name to Foxheart," Maplepaw growled, shoving her nose under her paw.

"Are you two bickering again?" Wrenpaw meowed groggily. "Go to sleep. Thrushflight's taking me on the dawn patrol." His flicked his dark red tail.

"Sorry," Maplepaw mumbled. "Sorry..."

She curled up, breathing the warmth of Bloompaw's pelt, but she couldn't sleep. By the time twilight turned the den blue-gray, her limbs felt stiff and sore, and her eyes dry from tiredness. Great.

"Well, since you're up," Wrenpaw whispered, "you might as well see if Thrushflight will take you with me to dawn patrol." He flicked her ears with his tail on the way out of the den. "Come on. It'll be fun!"

Maplepaw stretched, shaking herself roughly. My first dawn patrol! She'd spent the day before exploring Thunder forest and cleaning out the elder's den. She still hadn't had a proper hunt or battle training. Her paws worked impatiently at the ground as she followed Wrenpaw into the hollow. It's like Dapplecreek doesn't want me to do anything hard! I know I've only been an apprentice for a few days, but I wanna learn.

"Maple!" Thrushflight waved his tail eagerly. "You can come with me on patrol. I'll just go let your mentor know." As he disappeared into the warrior den, Jaggedclaw, Paletuft, and Birchnose assembled at the hollow exit, waiting for them to come. The deputy narrowed her eyes at Maplepaw, but didn't say anything.

"She's kinda scary, isn't she?" Wrenpaw whispered. "I can't believe Fallensnow's her mom. Her new litter is so cute! And Freezekit is super shy. I bet Paletuft was never shy."