CHAPTER 6

When Maplepaw woke in front of the Moonpool, it was still dark outside. Hardly any time had passed since she'd fallen asleep; her meeting with the mysterious cat had only taken a few moments. She got to her feet, surprised to find how sore they were, stretched, and glanced at the horizon. You lived once before. She'd never heard of anything like that happening in the Clans. A cat living a second life? Why? Who had she been before? Is that why I know how to fight so well? She padded away from the Moonpool, stifling the whimper that rose in her chest. None of it makes any sense! If only she could ask Redpoppy. If only she could ask someone. Maybe Yellowstar? She talks to StarClan... Maplepaw shook her head. Yellowstar will have enough to deal with once Sunsplash announces his news.

Maybe the elders would know. But then again, Myler talked about a time before the Clans came to the lake--and that was before anyone alive was old enough to remember. There was one elder in BlackClan that was older than any cat--Dawnwhisker--but even she wouldn't be old enough to remember that. FireClan liked to joke that Dawnwhisker was older than the Sky Oak, but that was just elder gossip.

Maplepaw pushed through the moors, heading into the furthest edges of Thunder forest. She breathed a sigh of relief when she felt familiar undergrowth beneath her paws. At least I'm home. She opened her mouth to taste the air, remembering she needed to come back with prey. Soon she found a shrew nibbling at the base of a tree, and dispatched it quickly. She found two more mice and headed back to camp, content with her catch.

Downtail, still standing guard, blinked at her in surprise when she came through the entrance tunnel, then dipped his head when he saw her prey.

"A night hunt," he mewed with a wistful look. "When I was a paw, that was my favorite thing to do. Get some rest, Maplepaw."

Maplepaw gave him a nod before depositing her prey on the fresh-kill pile, which was empty except for a very squashed mouse. At least the elders get to wake up to a meal, she thought. But I'm not going to sleep yet. Sometime between her bewildered encounter and the walk home, Maplepaw had made up her mind: she was going to ask her mother some questions.

Ducking into the warrior den, she weaved past Jaggedclaw, Foxjump, and Goosefur, before nudging her mother's side with her paw.

"Maple?"

"Shh. Follow me."

Blinking sleep from her eyes, Redpoppy slinked out of the den. Jaggedclaw woke up long enough to grumble something but immediately fell back asleep.

"What's wrong, Maple?"

Maplepaw gestured to a secluded spot behind the warrior den.

"I have..." She paused, unable to meet Redpoppy's orange gaze. "I have some questions."

Redpoppy eyed her warily. "Go ahead."

"Well, my father. I know it isn't Thrushflight. Who was it? A cat from another Clan? I won't be mad, I just... I need to know." And that's the easiest question.

Redpoppy sighed heavily. "You don't have a father."

"Of course I do." Maplepaw blinked in surprise. "Everyone does."

"I don't know how StarClan gave me to you, but I never regretted it for a moment. I always meant to have kits, and Thrushflight probably would have been the father anyway. He helped raise you from the moment you came into this world even knowing you weren't his, and that means much more than blood ever could."

"I'm really not normal." Maplepaw found herself quivering. "Am I even real?"

"Of course you're real." Redpoppy drew her tongue over Maplepaw's head in slow, soothing laps. "You're as real as any other cat. And you're definitely my daughter. You inherited my long fur, my big paws, my eyes. I see myself in you every day. StarClan's powers and ways have always been a mystery, even to medicine cats and leaders. They can grant nine lives, for Gray Wing's sake. They have the power to resurrect a cat from death. They can send clouds to cover the moon. I suppose it makes sense they can do this... But I don't know how it works."