Dinner

Before max lets us all finally go to bed he takes us out for a fancy meal.
It's a nice restaurant that I recommended because the others don't really know much about the little sun-urban or London I grew up in.
We are ordering the food and I know I actually like this food and know what I want to order.
"Y/N your not ordering off of the kids menu" max says stubbornly assuming that I would like I usually do.
"I'm n.." I didn't even get to finish my sentence
"I don't want to hear it young lady you chose this place so you can chose a grown up meal" max says back to me
"I'm not ordering off of the kids menu don't worry" I say back finally able to get my words out.
The whole table stares at me in shock.
This is a sentence they never thought I'd say.

The waiter comes over and asks us all what we want. Max is getting a steak, Hayden is getting a beef burger of some sort. And the rest of Hayden's family are getting things like fish and chips because they believe it's an English dish that has to be eaten everyday when they come to England and when I tried to explain it wasn't, Hayden was the only one who listened.

"And what would you like miss?" the waiter asks me.
"Could I please have the Roasted loin" I reply
Everyone at the table stares at me because they don't know what it is and they have never heard me say a fancy name for a meal.
The waiter leaves and everyone is still staring at me in shock.
"What??" I say a bit weirded out because everyone is just looking at me in silence.
"What the fuck did you just order." max says
"Roasted loin of English beef with cheese and onion gougère, cauliflower, creamed swiss chard with a red wine sauce... why" I say back.
Everyone is in disbelief
They never thought words like that would come out of my mouth.
They thought it would come and I would just leave it there.

The food arrives at the table and everyone watches me take my first bite.
"Can everyone stop staring at me and eat please" I say and then everyone starts eating finally.
"Thank you" I say politely as they all take a bite of their food.
We all finish and Hayden's mother goes to pay the bill just as max is getting his cry out of his wallet.

"I'm not letting you pay for dinner after you paid for our trip here and the hotel and everything else it's the least I can do" his mum says.
"Excuse me but no this trip is on me I'm not letting you pay the bill" max replies a bit frustrated
They argue for a little while until they finally agree that max pays the bill.

We get into the car and drive back to the hotel and on the way back to the hotel everyone has something to speak about.
They all had to speak about the same thing...
How I didn't order something simple.
They all talked about it and I answered it was mainly questions on how I knew what the meal was and how they were proud of me for not ordering off of the kids menu.
I'm not going to lie, I was quite proud of myself too.

We got back to the hotel, finally 9pm I can go to bed.
We walk through the door and I immediately turn into a walking zombie.
Everyone tries to have a conversation on their night and then it's my turn
"Sleep." I say in a low monotone voice rolling the e's.
Everyone laughs and let me go to my room to get pyjamas on.
Just as I'm finished max walks in to say goodnight.

"I'm so proud of you today, you did so well." he says whilst giving m a hug causing my eyes to well up a bit.
"Why?" I say back a bit confused.
"You taught Hayden how to kart, you ordered off of the adult menu. You didn't start a fight with anyone and you was in a good mood all day even when that kid crashed into you. Well done sweetheart" he says
I hug him tighter and whisper into his chest "your the best dad ever, I love you" which causes max to tear up. I called him my dad and told him I love him.
He max not biologically be my dad but in my heart he is (and legally)

Max hugs me tighter and picks me up taking me over to my bed and lying me down in it.
"Go to sleep now, you've had a long day" he says stoking my hair behind my ears.
"Goodnight I love you, see you in the morning" he says to me as I close my eyes and drift off.
I say the same thing back sleepily.
He gives me a kiss on my forehead turns off my lamp and leaves the room closing the door behind him.