chapter thirty-four

Lost in your thoughts, you keep pushing the bike as you walk towards your house. You're still pondering why Rindou suddenly got mad. Your intention was to cheer on him and show support... Why does it feel like it's a crime to make him happy?

Isn't this how girlfriends fulfill their roles? Did I truly grasp how relationships work? I know I broke my promise, but I just want to do something for him... Did I really do the right thing by going there? Am I getting ahead of myself?

"Oh, y/n! How's the exam? I'll be ordering chicken and noods for dinner, do you want some?" Ran asked. He just got home from school, and he's opening their gate. You didn't respond and walked past him, which surprised the older Haitani. This is the first time that he has seen you frown like that.

Realizing what you had done, you stopped in your tracks and took a few steps back. "Ah, hi, Ran. The exam went pretty smoothly! Thanks for all the sleepless nights and your help!" you said without any facial expressions. Ran opened his mouth to say something, but you quickly bowed to cut him off. You don't want to talk to anyone right now, but you also don't want to ignore the older Haitani. His brother may be an asshole, but that has nothing to do with Ran.

"I—I need to finish my assignment, so... so I won't be able to drop by later... but I'll bake you guys a thank you gift for helping me study! You've been craving peach mango cake, right?"

"Uh..."

"Okay, then, see you!" you quickly said, and before Ran could even utter a word, you quickly dashed to your house, pushing the bike.

Ran stared at your back, wondering what had happened that had made you so upset. "Oh, Rindou, what did you do?" he mumbled.

Twenty minutes later, Rindou arrived home. He opened the door, and he was greeted by Ran, who was making coffee in their dining room.

"I'm home,"

"Welcome back," Ran said, sipping his coffee. Rindou walked behind his brother to grab a glass in the cupboard. "I saw y/n earlier, she seems upset. Did you guys fight?"

Rindou stopped his tracks for a brief moment and formed his fist before walking again. He didn't respond to his older brother's question.

Ran sighed and faced his brother. "Hey, you know you can talk to me if you're having a hard time at something, right?"

"This doesn't concern you, Ran," Rindou said, opening the fridge. He grabbed a pitcher of water and poured himself a glass.

"I feel like if I don't say something, you'll run away instead of facing the problem."

"Tch. I am not a kid, Ran. I don't need you to meddle with my personal life," he said, slammed the glass on their kitchen counter, and walked past his older brother. Ran can't do anything but sigh because he knows that Rindou is going to be stubborn about this.

"Fix that, Rindou! I mean it!" he shouted, but the younger Haitani didn't respond. He went straight to his room and slammed the door shut.

Just as he was about to sit at his table, his gaze was drawn to your window. The lights are on, but the curtains are closed. Rindou placed his bag on his bed and massaged the bridge of his nose.

"You're always doing everything you want without thinking about the consequences," he mumbled.

You, on the other hand, are lying on your bed, hugging a pillow. You're doing it again, y/n. Following me like a dog. His words just keep echoing in your head, and the pain is digging deeper the more you dwell on them. This is the second time he told you that, but why is it more painful this time?