Chapter 8

The following day, we returned to Abuja, where the security team assisted us in unpacking our belongings and settling back into our home.

"Goodbye, aunty," I bid farewell, but Mrs. Austin swiftly halted me in my tracks.

"I wanted to speak with you about something," she said, and I nodded, granting her permission to continue.

"It's about Atlas and his girlfriend," she began, prompting me to listen attentively.

"What about them?" I inquired, curious about her concerns.

"I love my son dearly, but I fear he's on the wrong path. I've heard unsettling things about that girl, Dera, and I believe she may not have his best interests at heart," she confessed, causing me to nod in understanding.

"It seems he's deeply in love with her, but I worry she'll only bring him heartache in the end," she sighed, voicing her anxieties.

"I want you to try and talk some sense into him," she implored, catching me off guard.

"Wait, what?" I exclaimed, taken aback by her request.

"Yes, as a woman, perhaps you could influence him to see reason by spending more time together," she suggested, leaving me stunned by her proposition.

"He hardly speaks to me anymore," I confessed, expressing my doubts about the effectiveness of her plan.

"I know, but it's worth a try, isn't it?" she persisted, reaching out to hold my hands in a gesture of camaraderie.

"I don't want him to suffer any further, especially after losing his father. I've done my best to provide a happy home for both Atlas and Adam," she revealed, her voice tinged with sorrow as she reminisced about their family's past struggles.

"It was a difficult time for Atlas after his father's passing. I had hoped our move to Nigeria would bring us solace and happiness, but it seems we've encountered more challenges," she lamented, reflecting on their journey.

"I even thought he might develop feelings for you; you're a beautiful young woman and everything a man could desire. What does my son see in her?" she pondered aloud, her laughter easing the tension.

"I'll try all my best to persuade him about Dera, but if you hear that I've resorted to slapping your son, it's likely because he said something particularly disagreeable," I joked, earning a chuckle from Mrs. Austin.

"Even if it takes a few slaps to bring him to his senses, so be it," she quipped, sharing in our laughter.

"Thank you for your understanding," she expressed her gratitude before walking away.

I began making my way to my room, thinking over Mrs. Austin's words. It's ironic—I'd practically instructed Atlas to avoid me, and now I find myself obligated to engage with him.

Ugh, this is solely for Mrs. Austin's sake. She's genuinely one of the kindest souls I know, and her happiness means everything to me.

After dinner, everyone retired to their rooms. I took a refreshing bath and settled in with my books, realizing it's been ages since I last read. Lazy as I am, I couldn't muster the energy to sit at my desk; instead, I sprawled out on my bed.

Lost in my reading for about an hour, I suddenly sensed a pair of eyes on me. I turned to find Atlas perched on his bed, his gaze fixed on me. As soon as our eyes met, he averted his gaze.

"I saw you," I called him out, but he remained silent. Sometimes I forget he's actually 18; his behavior can be so Childish.

"I thought I told you not to look at me anymore," I reminded him.