Chapter 13

🍒TIMI🍒

I returned home, my mind still preoccupied with Dera's words about Kelvin. Despite knowing that Kelvin had changed and had nothing to do with Dera anymore, her words lingered in my thoughts.

Entering my house, I noticed that Atlas wasn't with me. He had left me alone at school, likely dealing with the aftermath of discovering Dera's betrayal. I imagined he must be hurting deeply, having genuinely loved her.

After a quick shower, I sat down to tackle my assignments, but Atlas's absence weighed heavily on my mind. His window, usually open, remained shut, indicating his seclusion.

Feeling a tug of concern, I debated whether to reach out to him. What could I possibly say to console him? I've never been good at offering comfort, but I felt compelled to try. With a sigh, I slipped on my slippers and decided to visit him. He was a victim of Dera's deceit, and he deserved support.

I rang the doorbell, waiting patiently until Mrs. Austin opened the door. Her usual vibrant demeanor seemed dimmed by sadness.

"Good evening," I greeted softly.

"Good evening," she replied, her smile strained.

I could tell she was aware of Atlas's situation, but I didn't want to pry. Instead, she silently ushered me inside.

"How are you?" I asked, attempting to break the heavy silence.

"I'm okay," she replied, though her eyes betrayed her true feelings.

I hesitated to ask about Atlas, but my concern outweighed my apprehension.

"How is Atlas?" I inquired, my voice gentle.

She glanced towards his room, a somber expression clouding her features.

"He's been in his room since he came back from school," she disclosed, her worry evident.

"Is he okay?" I pressed, sensing her distress.

"He hasn't spoken to anyone, not even his little brother. He's locked himself inside, and I'm afraid he might do something drastic," she confessed, her voice trembling.

I felt a pang of guilt for not reaching out to Atlas sooner. He had always been fond of Dera, and now he was paying the price for her betrayal. Mrs. Austin's eyes welled with tears as she spoke, and I wished I could offer her some solace.

"He didn't tell me anything, but I had a feeling something was wrong. I've always distrusted Dera, and I warned him about her, but he didn't listen. Now, all this has happened," she lamented, her voice heavy with sorrow.

I wanted to reassure her that everything would be okay, but I knew it wouldn't.

"Don't worry, he's going to be okay. It's just a phase that will pass. But for now, I'm going upstairs to talk to him. I hope he listens, though," I reassured Mrs Austin with a smile as we withdrew from the hug.

"Please try your best to make him feel better again. I really don't want him to feel so left out here in Nigeria," she added earnestly. I nodded in understanding before offering her a reassuring smile.

"His room is the first turn to your left," she directed me, and I made my way up the stairs towards Atlas's room.

I walked upstairs and found the first door on my left. Taking a deep breath, I knocked softly, knowing he might not answer. After a moment of silence, I spoke.

"Hi, Atlas. I know you don't want to talk to anybody right now, but I just want to tell you that Dera isn't worth your pain. I might be making things worse, but I need to tell you the truth. You should try to move on and act as if it didn't really affect you because Dera might end up making fun of you for crying after she broke up with you."

The door suddenly swung open, revealing a very angry Atlas. He looked at me for a moment before grabbing my hand and pulling me into the room, locking the door behind us. He then started advancing towards me.

"I am not crying, and I will never cry because of a girl," he asserted firmly, though I could sense the hurt beneath his words.

I sighed and decided to sit on his bed. He glanced at me before rolling his eyes, clearly trying to give me attitude because I was in his room. But I wasn't about to leave.

"You're hurt, I know, and if it were me, I'd feel the same. I'm sorry about what happened," I said softly.

"Locking yourself in your room and worrying your mother won't fix your problem. You should try to get better and talk to your mother because she's really, really worried. Dera isn't worth this; she's worthless, sorry to say," I continued, trying to reason with him.

"No need to say sorry. She really is worthless," he admitted, finally sitting beside me.

"I thought she was different because I really loved her, but now I'm seeing all the red flags in her behavior. I didn't know what to say when she wanted to stay in school after we closed. It hurts to admit that you were right about Chidera all along," he confessed.

"I never thought she'd do this to me. I'm so sorry for what I said to you, especially about your parents. Remembering that makes me feel terrible because what I said was unforgivable. I really wish I could take it all back and fix my mistakes. Even if you forgive me, it's only because I'm hurting. What I said wasn't forgivable," he expressed remorsefully.

Although forgiving him wasn't my usual reaction, seeing him like this made me feel guilty. He was just another victim of Chidera's deceit. I looked at him and stretched out my hand for a hug, surprising both him and myself. He hesitated for a moment before embracing me back.

As we hugged, I patted his back, feeling the weight of his sadness. His hands rested on my waist, while mine were on his back. We stayed like that for a while, without saying anything.

As we remained in that position, I whispered softly to Atlas,

"She is not worth you. You will find someone better than her, don't worry." We stayed like that for a while, enveloped in a moment of silent understanding. I could hear his breathing gradually calming down, and I smiled, relieved to see him starting to find peace.

Slowly, we released each other from the embrace. Atlas gazed at me sadly before making a move to get closer. Unsure of his intentions, I watched him intently, feeling a mix of confusion and apprehension.

Then, to my utter astonishment, his lips met mine in a sudden and unexpected kiss. Shocked by his actions, I pushed him away immediately, my mind reeling with confusion and disbelief.

"No, we can't," I asserted firmly, trying to process what had just happened. Atlas looked at me for a moment before nodding in understanding, his expression reflecting a mixture of resignation and regret.

"I get it now. You're with Kelvin, right?" he asked, his voice tinged with sadness.

"Yes, I am," I whispered, confirming his suspicion. With that acknowledgment, the conversation seemed to come to an abrupt halt, leaving an unspoken tension lingering in the air.

To be continued...