○ Chapter 2 ○ My Birthday

It's today... 14 February... My 14th Birthday... And Ai wouldn't celebrate it with me...

I stayed in bed. I didn't bother greeting Ai as I suspected he had already left for his shoot. I closed my eyes and fell asleep again. When I woke up, I saw a pair of cyan eyes staring at me.

I gasped and got up immediately and hit in the person's head.

"Ow!" We both said at the same time.

"Ai! What are you doing? Shouldn't you be at your shoot?" I asked in an irritated manner.

"I finished early? What are you doing? Didn't you tell me that birthdays are special? Why aren't you celebrating it with your family and friends?" He asked.

I kept quiet for a moment and hoped Ai would walk off to do something else, but he stayed.

"Why aren't you leaving?" I asked.

"Because you haven't given me an answer."

"What's wrong with you? Normally you would say that this has nothing to do with you and walk off and work," I asked.

"I'm not sure. For some reason, I wish to know more about you," he replied.

"Oh okay..." I replied. "You couldn't spend my birthday with me... That's why..."

"I had a shoot. Why didn't you spend it with your father?"

"He is too busy for me."

"What parent wouldn't spend time with their child?"

"Apparently the person who invented you," I replied coldly.

I frowned.

Ever since Ai was invented, Father has been spending less time with me and eventually he stopped coming out from his laboratory. I never saw him again. I spent my birthdays alone as whenever it was my birthday, Ai was under maintenance. Funny coincidence huh. To think my father would pick my birthday to fix Ai.

"Is everything all right?" he asked. "If you want, we could spend time together now. It's only 2 in the afternoon."

"Really? Will that be okay?" I asked.

"Yeah. I got no more work today," he said.

"Yay! I will go get ready! And then we can-"

Gruhhh~

"Uh..."

"According to my data, it means you are hungry. You have not eaten?" He asked.

I nodded.

"I will take you out for lunch," he said.

"Thanks Ai."

+++

"This taste awesome!" I said as I scooped up to food and stuffed them in my mouth. I didn't eat breakfast what did you think I will do? Eat nicely like a lady is not an option. I looked up at Ai. He had a rather agitated look on his face.

"Eat properly would you?" He said in an agitated tone.

I slowed down and obeyed.

"Is it good?" He asked.

"Yup! Want to try some?" I asked and scooped up some and held my spoon in front he mouth.

"Say Ah~"

"Ah." He opened his mouth and ate it.

"Nice?" I asked as I continued eating.

"Yup," he replied. His reply was emotionless so I could not tell if he really found it good.

"Where do you want to go later?" He asked when I finished my food.

"Maybe the movies?" I suggested.

"Hmm, sure."

"Hey, let's watch the movie!" I said and pointed at the poster. The movie was called "Ice Princess"

"All right."

He got us tickets and we went and watch the movie.

It was about a girl with dead emotions, she was cold. However, she was very beautiful. A boy who was her neighbor fell in love with her. He wanted her to love him back so he did everything.

He gave her flowers, but the girl threw them away.

He gave her chocolates, but the girl denied them.

Lastly, he wrote her a song and the girl loved it. She started to feel love.

The movie reminded me of the relationship I had with Ai. It was like he was the ice-cold girl and I am the trying-to-receive-love boy.

"I didn't get the movie," Ai stated when we got out, "Why would the boy try so hard just to get this 'love'?"

"Because he loves her," that was all I could reply.

"Love? What is that?"

"It is something special that someone feels when they find their special someone."

"That doesn't make any sense," he said.

"I see..."

"Let's get home," Ai said and walked off.

"You go first, I have somewhere I need to go," I replied. He didn't reply.

How... Cold... How did we come to this? You are walking away... Why does it remind me of something so painful? But back to the movie... Why is it that the male protagonist dies?

+++

"I have an appointment with Shining Saotome," I said.

"What's your name?" the clerk asked.

"Yuriko Otsuka," I replied.

"All right, Shining will see you in his office," she replied and led me to his office.

I breathed in and out.

Hope this works...