twenty three

"All rise. The Court of the Second Judicial Circuit, Criminal Division, is now in session, the Honorable Judge Monae Hughes presiding"

I stand up slowly pushing the hard brown seat from under me with the back of my legs. Scared to look up, I stay looking down at my orange jumper and fiddle with the cold metal surrounding my red, sore wrists.

"Everyone but the jury may be seated. Ms. Uphman, please swear in the jury" Judge Hughes states as she got comfortable in her chair.

"Please raise your right hand. Do you solemnly swear or affirm that you will truly listen to this case and render a true verdict and a fair sentence as to this defendant?" Ms Uphman turned to the 12 people sitting almost adjacent to the judge.

"I do" the all say at once making chills on my neck.

"You may be seated" she nods to them and they sit.

"Members of the jury, your duty today will be to determine whether the defendant is guilty or not guilty based only on facts and evidence provided in this case. The prosecution must prove that a crime was committed and that the defendant is the person who committed the crime. However, if you are not satisfied of the defendant's guilt to that extent, then reasonable doubt exists and the defendant must be found not guilty. Ms.Uphman, what is today's case?" She asks turning to me. My heart sinks. There's no way this day is going good. I wipe my escaping tear and cross my legs.

"Your Honor, today's case is The State of Florida versus Autumn Jones"

"Is the prosecution ready?"

"Yes, Your Honor." A white lady beside us stands up then sits back down.

"Is the defense ready?"

"Yes your honor, I am" Rickell stands up and sits back down as well.

"Your Honor, members of the jury, my name is
Anna Sitton and my co-council and I are representing The State of Arizona in this case.
We intend to prove that on the day of December 19th, 2022, Autumn Jones commenced a substantial fire killing three individuals. Please find Autumn Jones guilty of first degree murder. Thank you"

Instead of getting sad, I begin to get fed up. This some bullshit. I ain't kill nobody. They were my bestfriends; my only friends. Why would I?

"Calling the defense attorney" Judge Hughes says and Rickell stands up. I bow my head and say a small prayer. This shit is gonna end so horribly.

Few hours later

"Take adjournment. We'll come back in 30 minutes" Judge Hughes says tiredly and gets up from her chair.

"Can I go to the bathroom?" I turn to Rickell not looking up at her.

She motions to the guards and they lead me behind the back and allow me to use the bathroom.

My tears doesn't wait til I enter inside the bathroom completely. They start flowing like a river as soon as I touch the door.

Crouching down on the floor in front of the door, I allow my feelings to completely overtake me.

30 fucking years for a crime I didn't commit? I did not intentionally set the house on fire, I hadn't know it was going to blow up. Hell I hadn't known all of them had died. I could have sworn Niko was in the hospital.

I know when to accept my responsibility and take my consequences but this isn't my responsibility nor the consequences I should face.

"Autumn, let's go" Rickells voice thundered again outside of the bathroom.

I wipe my tears and get up from the dirty floor unphased. This dirty shit is about to be my life.

I sit at the table eyeing the wooden stand in front of me.

"Autumn" I hear Ty'Ells voice whisper to me.

I decide to ignore her. If I turn and see her, ill start brawling and I can't be seen like that.

Before she could call me again, judge Hughes bangs her gravel and we continue.

"Your honor, may I ask Ms. Sittin questions?" Judge Hughes nods and Rickell walks down to the area infront of Anna before beginning to pace and ask her questions.

"Ms Sittin. Multiple times, you've stated that Ms Jones killed three people yes?"

"Yes"

"And only one body has been discovered?" Rickell continues walking the opposite way of the way she just had.

"Yes"

"So where are the other two bodies?"

"They burned in the fire" Anna states while shifting in her seat uncomfortably.

"Interesting. May I?" Rickell turns to Judge Hughes awaiting to see if she could approach bench with her file.

"In that case file, you'll find papers from Recovery and Interpretation of Burned Human Remains stating that only one body was found"

The room erupts out in murmurs and "ah". Judge Hughes read the papers intensively.

"Is that all?" Judge Hughes says petrified.

"That's all your honor" Rickell nods and heads back to the bench, face promising.

"Your honor, that can't be"

Judge nods towards the guard and he grabs the case file from judge and gives it to Anna.

Anna's face goes ghost. Rickell squeezes my hand.

"Your honor, may I present more evidence?" Rickell stands up proudly. Her shoulders back, chin up and her voice thundering this time like when she talks to me.

"Please proceed"

"To the stand, I bring Keisha Johns"

What?

The court room erupts again in "oohhhs" and "what?"