Sunrise

I was peacefully lying in bed, reading a new book. It was almost 11PM when I heard the door burst open downstairs.

- BEATRICE YOU BETTER BE FULLY CLOTHED CAUSE I AM COMING UP EITHER WAY!

This was the only warning I had before I heard hurried footsteps coming up the stairs.

Oliver shows up in my doorframe, and I raise my eyebrows at him.

He ignores me and I stay tucked under the bedsheets, comfortable with my book.

I must say, I don't know if I'm amused or confused by Oliver's presence.

Unfazed, I ask him. "What's going on?"

He just hurriedly steps into my closet and starts talking rapidly. "We're supposed to all leave in 30 minutes. Road trip. We need a suitcase, jackets, shorts, tops, chargers, pants, swimsuit, and all your girly stuff that makes your skin shine. Also I hope you're not on your period cause we're gonna go surfing. I know you're a sunscreen freak too so don't forget to get some. Do you have snacks? Amy Grace Mark and Jayden are riding together and the rest of us are taking another car. WHY ARE YOU STILL IN YOUR BED GET UP AND START PACKING WOMAN!"

He yanks me out of the comfort of my bed, knocking my book over. I try to protest but I know there's no use. For the next fifteen minutes, Oliver is listing items as I look through my closet for it and hand it to him. He proceeds to put them in the suitcase, and we soon have filled it with poorly folded clothes to fit them tightly.

- Ok last thing left is your underwear. I will close my eyes because I respect the bro code bullshit.

- EXCUSE ME?!?!

He completely ignores me and covers his eyes, turning his back to me despite he can't see anything.

- We don't have time, Bea. So get over your denial issues and start putting some lingerie in the freakin suitcase!

The sass in his voice.

My cheeks turn red.
I try to ignore it and pack some underwear. I ignore how many days I'll be gone, but better have more underwear rather than not enough.

"I'm done. How much time do we have left?"

- About fifteen minutes I guess.

"Okay. I'm gonna take a shower real quick. There's some totebags downstairs, just grab the biggest one and fill it with as many snacks as possible. Chips, protein bars, fruits... whatever you find in the cupboards."

Oliver's face lights up and he happily goes downstairs to pack the food.

Without wasting any other minute, I turn on the water and strip out of my clothes. I wash my hair, comb it, dry my skin and grab a pair of biker shorts for the road. It's chilly at night, and comfort is a must on that occasion so I decide to put on some biker shorts and a hoodie over my sports bra. I guess that must do it.

I don't have much time left anymore, so I frantically gather my essentials into bags and backpacks. Laptop, headphones, a book and my Kindle, wallet, keys, lip balms... you know the drill. Once I'm done, doubts start to fill in.

Where are they going? Is it gonna be safe? Is it gonna be nice? What about me and Jake? Is he going to be all awkward on me like right now?

But there's no time for all these questions. Because I heae a car just pull up, and Oliver's yells confirm it.

My room is a mess, but I sigh and decide to care about it later. Turning off all the lights, I go downstairs with my small suitcase and bigger tote bag.

- Hey Four!

My chipper "cat-owner" voice is high pitched, close to a 4 year old's.

I pat him, make sure he's got enough food to last a few days. Else, I'd have to ask a neighbor to take care of him. For that reason, on my way out, I tape a spare key on the upper border of a window, where it can't be seen nor discovered unless you know exactly where and what to look for.

"Let's go, Bea." Oliver takes my suitcase and I help him put it in the trunk of Luke's car.

Then we both get in the back, and I am seated behind the driver's seat, so Jake is sitting diagonally to me in the passenger's seat.

He gives me a small smile, and I smile back, but there's a little tension in the air between us.

Something I can't ignore anymore.