Here Comes the Sun

Valhalla's daily combat training finally made sense to me. After the terror and chaos of war in the hotel, plus the einvigi, I was prepared to face Fenris Wolf and the fire giants.

I barely had time to raise my sword before I had to dodge an axe throwned at my face.

Sam knocked a giant's knife out of the air.

"Rebinding Fenris... any idea how we're doing that?"

"Yes." - Magnus said - "Maybe. Not really."

"That's reassuring." - I sighed - "Well, it's the only plan we've got, for now."

A fire giant charged in our direction. Blitzen was so angry, between the Wolf gloating about his dad's death and Surt stealing his fashion ideas, that he howled like a mad man and rammed his harpoon right through the giant's gut. The fire giant stumbled off, belching flames and taking the harpoon with him.

Hearthstone pointed to the Wolf. Idea, he signed. Follow me.

"I thought we needed to stay in the heather." - Magnus recalled.

Hearthstone raised his staff. Across the ground at his feet, a rune spread like a shadow:

 Across the ground at his feet, a rune spread like a shadow:

Heather bloomed around it, sprouting new tendrils.

"Algiz." - Sam marvelled - "The rune of shielding. I've never seen it used."

For a moment I feared that Hearth would collpase, but he didn't. He didn't stumble, nor faint. He strode confidently forward, the flowers expanding before him like an unrolling carpet. Not only was Hearth immune to the wolf's voice, his rune magic was literally redrawing the boundaries of Fenris's prison.

We moved into the valley, following Hearthstone. On the right side of the island, my einherjar hallmates clashed with Surt's forces. Halfborn Gunderson buried his axe in the breastplate of a giant. X picked another one and tossed him off the side. Clara Sinclair struck a giant's balls with her hammer. Mallory and T.J. fought backt to back, jabbing and slashing and dodging blasts of flame.

Gunilla and her two Valkyries lieutenants were fighting Surt himself. Between the shining white spears and the flaming sword, their combat was almost too bright to watch.

The einherjar fought valiantly, but they were outnumbered. The fire giants didn't want to die. Even the one Blitzen had harpooned was still staggering around, trying to blowtorch my hallmates with his fire breath.

"We have to hurry." - Magnus said.

"Open to suggestions, kid." - Blitz said.

Fenris paced expectantly. He didn't seem concerned to see us shuffling towards him on a carpet of heather, collectively armed with an axe, a glowing staff, a sword, a new rope and an uncooperative sword.

"By all means, come down." - he said - "Bring that blade closer."

His mockery was making me angrier. Unlike before, I didn't want to charge at him... yet. I let the anger fill me. The sadness, the despair, the guilt. I allowed each emotion to rise slowly.