Endings of Beginnings

The feast lasted longer than any other I had ever been to.

Well, I was only in two feasts so that's not saying much.

On his throne, Odin spoke with the thanes. My friends and hallmates got a table to have our well deserved meal. On the way we got compliments and countless pats on the back.

At that moment, I didn't even paid attention to any of that. I focused on eating. I was famished.

After what seemed like hours, filled with the laughter of my friends and hallmates (Blitz and Hearth were worried they would die as they ate), the feast ended. Except the elf, the dwarf, the son of Frey and myself, everyone rose and left.

"Magnus, Bruno!" - T.J. called - "Are you coming? There's a party on floor sixty-nine."

"Um, yeah, I'll be there in a sec." - Magnus said.

"No, thanks, T.J. I'm a bit tired." - I smiled.

He nodded and catched up with the rest of floor nineteen.

I turned to Blitz and Hearth.

"What about you two? Where are you going to spend the night?"

I don't know, Hearth signed. We will find some place to crash.

"No." - Magnus said - "You two aren't sleeping on the streets or wherever you might find a warm spot. I got a huge room just for myself."

"Kid, we couldn't-"

"I'm not taking a no for-"

"Bruno Sazzione." - a voice said behind us.

Odin had approached the table. His crows perched on his shoulders. He held a cup of mead in one hand.

"Lord Odin." - Blitz bowed his head.

"No need for that, my friend." - Odin chuckled - "I'm just here to take Bruno with me. We must discuss important matters."

"Ah, cierto." (Oh, right) - I rose from my seat.

"Um, well..." - Magnus said uncomfortably.

"Your friends may stay at Valhalla. But I'm afraid I can't allow it more than once. I can't guarantee your friend's safety here."

"Thanks." - Blitz muttered under his breath.

We should go, Hearth signed.

The All-Father nodded.

"Come with me." - he ordered to me.

I followed him out of the hall. We walked towards the elevators, where Sam was waiting. She stood in front of an empty elevator, which was weird. I had never seen one empty or without a line of einherjar in front of it.

When she saw us, she bowed her head to the god. When Odin and I stopped at the doors, the All-Father opened them and motioned for us to enter.

"Have you been waiting long?" - I asked Sam to break the silence as the elevator went up.

"Not much." - she shrugged - "I wouldn't have minded..." - she glanced at the god and lowered her voice - "It was a bit hard to go unnoticed. I wasn't liking the attention."

"Are people still treating you badly?" - I asked barely above a whisper - "You literally helped to save the Nine Worlds."

"It is hard for many to stop seeing others the way they did, and see them under a new light." - Odin said.

Sam lowered her head, trying to hide the embarrassing red on her cheeks after being overheard by the god.

"How do you have such good hearing?" - I blinked - "Is it one of the perks of being a god?"