He Needs a Course in Photography

We must have lost an entire day returning to Valhalla, because dinner was under way in the Feast Hall of the Slain. Valkyries flew around with mead pitchers. Einherjar threw bread and roasted Saehrimnir at each other. Clusters of musicias jammed out all over the room.

The party slowly quietened as our procession made its way towards the thanes' table. an honour guard of Valkyries carried the bodies of Gunilla and the other two Valkyries (I found our their names were Irene and Margaret). Their bodies had been covered with white linen. I had hoped they might come back to life when they reached Valhalla. I guessed being a Valkyrie meant you couldn't be an einherji.

Mallory, X, T.J., Halfborn and Clara followed the litters. Magnus, Sam, Blitz, Hearth and I were at the end.

Warriors glared at us as we passed. The Valkyries' expressions were even worse. I was surprised we weren't killed before we reached the thanes. The crowd probably wanted to see us humiliated. They didn't know what we had done. All they knew was that we were rogues who escaped and were brought back for judgment, following the bodies of three Valkyries. We weren't shackled, but I still walked along, dragging my feet as if chains were tied around my ankles.

We stopped in front of the thanes' table. Erik, Helgi, Leif and all the other Eriks looked grim. Even Hunding the bellhop stared at us with dissapointment.

Finally, Helgi spoke.

"Explain."

Magnus was the first one to do it. He didn't hold back, there was no reason to do that. His voice echoed through the hall, though he wasn't speaking loudly. When he got to the fight with Fenris, his voice quievered and couldn't say another word. Sam continued with the story.

She spoke louder than Magnus, there was more security in her voice. It wasn't necessary though, the hall was so silent even a leaf falling could have been heard.

When she was done, the thanes sat silently. I couldn't read their mood. Maybe they were more unsure now than angry, but it didn't matter. Despite my talk with Ullr I didn't feel proud of what we had done. I was only alive because of the three Valkyries  who sacrificed themselves while we fought the Wolf. No punishment from the thanes would be worse than that.

Helgi rose.

"This is the most serious matter to come before this table in many years. If you speak truly, you have done deeds worthy of warriors. You have stopped Fenris Wolf from breaking free. You have sent Surt back to Muspellheim. But you acted as rogues, without the leave of the thanes and in... questionable company." - he glanced distastefully at Hearth, Blitz and Sam - "Loyalty, Magnus Chase, Bruno Sazzione... loyalty to Valhalla is everything. The thanes must discuss all this in private before passing judgment, unless Odin wishes to intercede."

He glaced at the vacant wooden throne, which of course, stayed empty. Perched on the backrest, the ravens fixed me with their glittering black eyes.

"Very welll." - Helgi sighed - "We-"

"Odin wishes to intercede."

Nervous murmurs rippled through the feast hall. X raised his cement face towards the thanes.

"X, this is no time for jokes." - T.J. whispered.

"Odin wishes to intercede." - the half-troll said stubbornly.

His appearence changed. His huge trollish shape dropped away like a reflection in the desert. In X's place stood a man who looked like a retired harsh sergeant. His chest was like a barrel of muscles, with massive arms stuffed in a short-sleeve Hotel Valhalla polo shirt. His grey hair was cut very short, his beard cut square to accentuate his hardened, weathered face. A black patch covered his left eye. His right eye was dark blue, the colour of vein blood. At his side hung a sword so massive it made Angrboda's knives and Surt's scimitar look like a toy.