Prologue

The goddess of Blaze cherishes her daughter like a last blooming flower in a dying garden. Her husband, however, might as well not be a father at all, for he curses his daughter, curses his wife even more for bringing her to this life. The father–the emperor of the white-heart region–never likes an heir to later replace his throne. The emperor believe s he'll forever rule his kingdom, for he is immortal. The Goddess Of Blaze, Clare Park, found her husband's words foolish.

The day their daughter was born, joy collided with sorrow. People who loved the goddess celebrated the new heiress, while those who bowed to the emperor, fueled the emperor's wrath.

Now, after a long night of celebrating with an unhinged father, Clare Park looks at her fuming emperor. ''We haven't named her yet.''

''I pay no care, Clare.'' he snaps, rubbing his thick neck.

''Dear, dear.'' she sighs, cradling her baby. ''She's a princess; we must name her sooner, or else folk would take it as a sign of misfortune.''

Ignoring his wife's words, the emperor mutters, ''You know I never agreed to a daughter, and yet, you seduced me into conceiving one.''

Clare stares at her husband, fighting a small smile. The Goddess is known for her intelligence; which easily explains how flawlessly she tricked her husband into having an heir. Much to everyone's dismay, it is also known that they both married for the sake of power and combined kingdom–meaning they haven't loved one another when engaged. Now, however, everybody knows that Clare has come to love the emperor, while he still never developed any romantic feelings for her. She's disappointed of course, but her goals remain the same.

Deciding that the best way to start the conversation she tried avoiding for weeks, is to offer her apologies. ''I'm sorry.'' Clare Park claims, suddenly wrapping her arms around her husband's neck, catching him by surprise. ''You know how stubborn I can get, dear. I started talking about having children since the day we wed. I believe you must've seen this coming. Or have you not?''

The emperor sighs in surrender, a decision already formed in his mind. A decision that will blow kingdoms, cause wars, shatter hearts. But what can he do? It's the only way.

Clare Park releases herself from her beloved, walking towards her daughter currently nuzzled in their bed. Too busy gazing at her newborn baby, she doesn't notice the emperor's sudden blank stare replacing his usual frown.

Their child has yellowish eyes, making her stand out from other young royals–in a fine way, that is. Her hair hasn't fully grown yet, but it appears to be light brown.

The emperor knows one thing: if he kills Clare, the barriers she casts around their realm will break. She's the Goddess Of Blaze; ancient power flowing through her bloodline. Clare Park is powerful enough to enchant a jinx around their island that makes the human eye incapable of taking sight upon their legendary, forgotten land. If humans discover their realm, war will take place. The emperor of this realm can't let that happen, of course, to keep the safety of his folk.

Now, as a plan so perfect, so close to success forms in the emperor's mind, he slowly grins in triumph. Oh, Clare might just experience how her one-sided love can turn to two-sided loathing in a matter of moments.

It's utterly cruel, he knows that, but his wife disobeyed him, crossed a line she's very familiar with. The husband is a greedy creature, he never likes any attempts to overtake his throne. And an heir is a mighty danger to his royalty. The daughter might grow to have powers as endless as her mother's, she might mature to understand the magic she could use against her father–might come to understand she can overcome him. But that can't happen, indeed, so the husband moves to accomplish his plot.

The emperor lifts his gaze, witnessing once more Clare Park's eyes roaming over her daughter's face, lost in choosing a likable name for their cursed daughter.

He grunts under his breath in irritation, but his wife mistakes it for innocent impatience.

''Oh, now, now.'' She smiles sweetly. ''Don't look this miserable, I'm merely trying to think of a unique name for our princess.''

The mighty joy reflecting on the Goddess Of Blaze's face makes the emperor swallow in dread. Although, his purposes are much more urgent than this confusing bond. He respects his wife, he always did. But she's been clear in being fearless to the emperor's rules–and that's a small hole to the emperor's power.

The goddess suddenly laughs in victory.

''I shall name my princess Roseanne.'' Her grin widens, making her all the more pretty. ''Oh, it fits her so well! Am I right, Roseanne?"

She flicks her baby's nose, making the little girl squirm in smugness. The emperor could easily note the love now pointing a sharp arrow at Roseanne, too bad he's going to take it away in one brutal swipe real soon.

As heartless as the Devil himself, the emperor cuts the moment of affection between the mother and daughter. As heartless as a beast could be, he moves to severe the bond between a mother and her daughter.

''Clare Park.'' The hollowness in the emperor's voice makes Clare's head whip towards his direction in urgency.

''Yes?''

''I warned you.'' Not wanting to waste any more time; ancient, silent words leave his mouth in a fast, non-stuttering stream. Contrary to his determined mind, his heart slowly crumbles to pieces as he does what must have been done long ago.

His wife's eyes widen in disbelief as she comes to realize what the male she's come to love is about to do.

He's cursing her. He's punishing her.

Immediately, she forms a shield around her and Roseanne. In response to Clare Park's fears, the barrier doesn't keep the emperor's jinx from reaching them–the shield is merely condensed air, nothing effective against a stream of a curse. Clare finds no other way than to scream prayers to the divine for mercy. The monster she's come to call a husband is banishing her from her home, away from her newborn daughter. Away from everything.

''No!'' Clare Park rasps, again and again begging her husband to stop what he's doing. Terror overwhelms her as she's being pulled into a world of nothingness, where the emperor has always sent the traitors. Also known as The Blackness.

''Please! Please!'' Tears fall on her cheeks. ''I beg you! Never again, I promise. Never again will I disobey you! Please, let me stay with my child! I be–''

She's silenced as she fully disappears into the void of endless blackness, too far away from her husband to cause any more troubling knots to the thread he likes unraveled.

Only a single tear falls on the emperor's cheekbone as he stares at the empty place where the Goddess was seconds ago. He repeatedly keeps telling himself that banishing her to the Blackness was a smart, forced decision. There, she'll be very much alive to keep the barrier around the white-heart realm content. But also imprisoned enough to be incapable of challenging her husband any further. His throne is secure, the emperor reminds himself, this kingdom is all to himself again. Yet, grief too dense and bottomless makes his lungs squeeze enough to make him short of air.

Roseanne falls on top of the bed with a heavy thud, for there isn't a loving person to hold her anymore. The baby wails, and her father can't help snapping at his child, for she's the reason for the devastation now occupying her father's mind. As much as Clare Park loved Roseanne, the emperor loathes her.

And now, more than ever, the emperor decides the girl shall grow up to believe that her mother has died, and to be oblivious to her identity.