Chapter sixteen

Lisa halts the car into a stop, parking right at the edge of the deserted, wide road.

We all exit the old MPV vehicle.

I look around, to find us in the middle of nowhere. The dead forest and the heavy fog is the only thing keeping us company. The tall, autumn trees suddenly feel like something to be feared from, surrounding us at both sides, as if hiding whatever horror lurks within its depths. The sky hovering up with too mushed gray clouds, ready to strike with blade-like rain.

A storm is coming. But not just any storm—no, one that includes lightning. Considering that we're too high up—the hills looking like a mountain of plates, lightning could become fatal.

The other car is nowhere to be found. Concluding that Chanyeol, Hyunjin, and Felix are in it, that means that neither are they.

''We lost them?'' Nayeon squeaks, her breath like white smoke in front of her.

''Obviously.'' Momo answers, rather firmly. ''But it just doesn't make sense. We're in the right direction, and Chanyeol wouldn't let the slightest chance of loosing us.''

Lisa growls, ''Something happened to them.''

''We won't survive the night here. It's too cold.'' I claim, rubbing my hands against each other to prove my point. ''Besides, it's nearly dark, a storm will strike soon, and we're in the middle of nowhere.''

''What're you saying?'' Momo asks, frustrated.

''I suggest continuing our journey.'' When all of them gape at me like opened-mouthed fish, I confirm. ''We need to find a shelter soon, however, it's clear there isn't any here. If we don't find one soon, this forest's creatures will find us instead.''

''Are you claiming we simply leave the rest of our friends out there?'' Nayeon rasps at me. And for the first time, I can witness berserk wrath in her grassy eyes.

''Like Hell we do that!'' Lisa shouts, ''Are you out of your mind?''

''If you want to freeze to death and become prey to monsters, then go ahead!'' I snap back, throwing my hands up in frustration.

When all of them flinch at my hideous temper, I take a deep breath and try again. ''Look,'' I exhale deeply, ''We need to leave this forest. Any moment now, and we won't see anything but the dark and the out-line of merciless creatures. We also won't hear anything but hungry growls.''

''Since when are you anything but an idiot?'' Lisa bares her teeth at me.

A chill runs through my nerves, ''What do you mean?''

''Lis.'' Momo suddenly whispers urgently, ''Don't say what I think you're going to say.''

Lisa laughs hysterically, ''Oh no. I'm done pretending.'' she continues, ''It's time we tell this idiot the truth.''

Her eyes are wild as she claims. ''Did you know that the obana who came to murder you were actually assigned by us? Did you really think that thieves will just let you in into their home without a price?''

My mind begins to spin.

Lisa suddenly takes out a blazing knife from her pocket, Nayeon and Momo follow suit.

Lisa growls, ''Did you even ever question where the obana fled after attempting on your life? But of course you didn't, you were too busy rubbing your oh-so-teary eyes.''

''Ah yes.'' Momo adds, a crazy glint making her eyes wide. ''You can't imagine the look on our faces when your stupid skin started to stitch back together when you were stabbed, but we didn't really care. Not when you believe d the silly lie about Chanyeol mending to your fatal injuries. You were supposed to die that day, stupid bitch.''