Chapter eight

I pack back my clothes into my rusty zipper back-pack, stuffing them as neatly as I can. The feeling of weeping keeps whispering in my ear to give up at last. But I won't, not when I just came up with a fine future plan. My eyes keep lusting for the tears to fill their gaps, my hands are greedy to pull my hair to shreds, but I keep telling myself not to worry, not to care. I already had enough of that.

...

I was going to push open the door, my hand already on the chilly handle, when a strong grip grips my elbow.

''You're leaving.'' A low growl purrs, his mouth grazing the shell of my ear. I don't need to turn around to know it's Chanyeol . Here again, ready to give me a lecture of being a useless, ignorant woman. If I want to be honest with myself, I know I am.

''I hate goodbyes. Besides, you made it pretty clear today that you despise me.'' I snap at him, still not turning to meet his hazel eyes. I know I'll be overwhelmed with their intensity.

His long arms settle on my shoulders, slightly turning me around so I face him.

''What. Do. You. Want?'' I rasp at him, trying to contain the rage spilling away from my grip.

''I was a bit rude to you today.'' He says, scratching the back of his neck, ''What I meant to say is that–,'' He seems pained to get out the incoming words, ''I apologize for being such an–''

''Asshole? Idiotic jerk? Pain in my ass?'' I hold his stormy gaze.

''Yeah, yeah. All that.'' He shrugs, the movement grace and unique. I hate him for it.

''By the way,'' I hear a cheerful feminine voice claim from behind Chanyeol's massive posture. Lisa emerges from the shadows to the sunlight that seems to suit her perfectly, looking like a fresh blossoming rose. ''I'm the one who told him to apologize for behaving like a pig, you know?'' I laugh despite myself.

''Pig?'' I challenge, ''That's all you got?''

Lisa pointedly ignores me, and says, "I heard you two sneaking on me and Hyunjin back there. I won't hold a grudge."

I abruptly pull her into my awaiting arms. She grips me tightly in return, so tightly I fear my bones would crack.

''You accept my apology, then?'' Chanyeol growls from behind me, his voice sending sparks of pleasure down my spine.

''Let me think...Definitely not.'' I decide to say, smiling mirthley, ''You're lousy at apologizing, by the way. Yet another thing to add to your list of misfortune.''

I can feel waves of fury pouring from him, but I honestly don't care.

I cup Lisa's rosy shining face with my hands, and kiss her oval round nose. She pulls back, her nose wrinkling in disgust. I wash her off, unbothered.

Seriously, I'm not sure what's gotten into us, but deep in my bones, deep in my soul; I know, I know that this swift happiness will not last, that one day it will vanish and leave a gaping hole in my heart. So I savor it, I savor every moment of this delight and luck.

''Chaeyoung.'' Lisa suddenly says, looking dead serious. ''Remember you gave me a letter to Plumfian school?''

Indeed, the letter I got from the postman the day I fled from home turned out to have never been a scam. It was a real invitation to a school called Plumfian; a school only meant for white-hearts. Turns out, people called The Founders have a special mechanism that helps them detect white-hearts. Considering I am one who has been going to a normal school, they have officially given me access to an education meant to improve my use of powers.