Chapter twenty-five

After being guided by a demon courtier, I finally near the ballroom at the end of the wide corridor.

The classical music that seems to be played by violin melody sends me a pitch of familiarity; Gabriella loved violin.

The music is high enough to hear from where I am; still frozen at the other end of the hallway. I can't bring my legs to move, not to mention that my breath is embarrassingly labored. Perhaps coming here was a mistake, yet I find myself once more wearing the emotionless mask as I finally enter the glittering party.

The spinning of dancers, and gentlemen startles me. The fire of candles, and glint everywhere; from the dangling chandelier, to the splints around the buffet. A fountain is in the middle of the hall, where vampires are seen diving their cups into the liquid and drinking...blood. I try stifling my gag upon seeing vampires feast. The fountain isn't containing a crimson juice, no, but pig's blood. I turn away from the disturbing scene, and try locating anyone I know. The buzz of noise, and chatter is all but making my eardrums bleed. The buffet's lean, wide tables are chock full of every meal, and dessert anyone could dream of, however, what most attracts my attention is the bottles of expensive wine settled in ice ponds. I slowly walk towards the escape of misery, but come to a halt upon seeing Kim Taehyung; the demon, occupying that part of the table. A female elf is practically drooling over him, arching her thighs into his front, making unchecked high pitch sounds of pleasure. I roll my eyes, and decide that leaving them to their delight sounds better than lacquer.

I spin around, still dazzled at the utter luxuries used to make this night anything but mildly perfect. The cups, platters, plates, and canvases are all made of expensive glittering, dark stones. The mushed chairs around the massive hall are woven from cotton, satin, and golden streaks. The numerous chandeliers among the ceilings dangle dragon-like statues made of mother-of-pearl.

I go as further as possible from both the buffet, and the dance floor. The tune of the music has changed into something more romantic, encouraging lovers to dance along. Many other pretty creatures slowly make their way to dark corners, where the naughtiest parts of the ball occur.

I sit onto a throne-like chair, after picking a small plate of fruit from a passing servant. A demon is seated on the opposite chair across from me, not bothering to hide his darkening gaze upon seeing the exposed parts of my breasts.

I roll my eyes, and pop a strawberry into my mouth. Strawberry juice accidentally pools from the corner of my lips. I come to wipe it away, but not fast enough to beat the demon to it. He boldly leans forward and, with his finger, wipes the juice away. Holding my piercing glare, he licks his finger, slowly and truthfully.

I, not-so-calmly, put the plate of fruits on a nearby oral table, and stand.

The demon follows suit, asking in a deep, rough voice, ''Would you like to dance with me, my lady?''

Knowing that I'd soon need all kinds of allies in the Hells, I decide to be as bold as him tonight. I smile warmly, accepting his invitation, ''I would love that.''

He wastes no time in pulling me to the dance floor, and pushing my body hard against his chest–forcing our hips to ground against each other. He threads an arm around my waist, and the other clasps my fingers.

We start to dance along with the slow tune. One step forward, two steps backward, and then the demon spins me around. On and on we repeat the steps silently, the demon too busy admiring my naked flesh.

''I'm Duke Christof Nava, my lady.'' he finally introduces himself, ''May I ask whom you are?''

I laugh in my head as I imagine his reaction when he finds out I'm soon to be one of his queens.