Chapter fifteen

Sitting in the old, fashioned MPV, I can still smell the oily scent creep its way into my aching chest. Lisa is dozing off on my shoulder, her rosy breath dancing on my neck.

Chanyeol brought us two cars, one for the men and the other for us. To be honest, I couldn't have thought of a better alternative. Nonetheless, the boys got to have the luxurious car, while us had the ancient vehicle–the olive oil splayed on the seats makes me want to gag.

Nayeon has been driving now for nearly two hours straight. Momo and I never drove once in our life, so it leaves Lisa to take the next shift. She's now sleeping soundlessly, drool gently pooling down the tip of her parted lips. After seeing Nayeon's head droop on the side for the second time, I believe it's time to wake the sleeping head.

I tap Lisa's cheek gently, leaning in to whisper in her ear, ''Wake up, sleeping beauty.''

''Hmm.'' is her only response.

I sigh, taking a look at the grunting Nayeon. If Death was this pale, then I'd say Nayeon was clearly its feminine version. Large, violet circles surround her grassy eyes. Her head nearly bowed to her chest, while her eyes are busy fighting too-demanding sleep.

''Nayeon, I think you should rest.'' Momo suddenly states, seated on the upper seat. I hum in agreement.

''Oh, really? I haven't realized!'' Nayeon snaps, ''You two can't drive for a reason I'll prefer not to know. And Lisa's too busy dreaming about kissing the love of her fucking life!''

Momo chokes, her eyes bulging. ''Ayo, miss I'm-great-at-cursing! Language!''

''You can go on driving, right?'' I ask Nayeon, ''I don't think it'd be this long until we reach our destination.'' I rub my palms against each other, the chill creeping in.

Nayeon snorts, ''Yeah, well. Only three hours to go, woohoo!''

I tip my head back, barking into unlady-like laughter. Momo joins. And surprisingly, so does Nayeon.

After a couple of painful shrieks, we settle back into relaxed silence.

Now, staring outside the dusted car window, I gaze at the houses we pass. Unlike the previous deserted city we left, these houses vibrate with the joy and laughter of the young. This is the second city we cleared, in the first, we even passed an amusement park. The children were holding popcorn puffed into beautiful, rainbow cups. The roller coasters were running into fast oblivion, while the kids screamed with pleasure. I tried holding back my tears, but thankfully, they fell unnoticed.

Lisa suddenly yawns from beside me, stretching her arms wide.

''Hey, Madi.'' Lisa moans, ''You look like you've passed the challenge of staying-awake-for-the-rest-of-your-life. Stop the car, I think I'll take the rest.''

''I'll gladly watch you get tortured, asshole.'' Nayeon rasps, rolling her eyes.

The car halts into a stop beside a grocery store. If I don't know better, I'd think it was only a coincidence.

''I'll go fetch some snacks, baby girls.'' Nayeon declares–just like I predicted.

I smirk, wondering how Nayeon possesses a lean body, while swallowing junk every now and then.

Momo scoffs, no doubt mirroring my thoughts.

''She's like a baby starving for mummy's milk, yeah?'' I chuckle, shaking my head.

''Yep.'' Momo giggles, dramatically popping the P. Lisa only rolls her eyes, shooting us a glare.

''You need to work on your language.'' Lisa notes, disappointment powdering her features. ''Honestly, Hyunjin first being the careless curser, and now you guys?''