DISPEL

dispel, v.

It was the way you said, "I have something to tell you." I could feel the magic drain from the room.

" I could feel the magic drain from the room

Ann was having a great day, she walked around admiring the new exhibit that is currently happening at the gallery. It was yet another successful project and she couldn't wait for many more. The friends and acquaintances that knew her had been asking when is her turn to hold an exhibit in Manila, but she wasn't sure. In a few months. Maybe.

Because as beautiful and as great as the feeling of seeing your creations being admired, it demands time- and she just wants to enjoy her time with their little family for now.

So when she got the dreadful call, it took out all the glimmer of happiness in her eyes. Remaining on the spot of her seat, she couldn't move, paralyzed, feeling the blood rush at the back of her ears. Her hands turned clammy and didn't know if her heart was still beating or if it stopped beating all together.

It's that feeling again. Like life has been sucked out of her just at the mention of someone she loves, one she considers as her world gets hurt. In her head, she keeps on praying to anyone or to anything that would hear her. "No. Not again. Not my daughter. Please, God, please not my Dani."

She couldn't utter a word when she should ask where and which hospital they took her daughter. She should call Michelle because she could get to Dani faster since they only used one car today. Michelle has it. It feels as though she's having a heart attack, like everything in her is closing up.

It was the teacher who called. Ann couldn't make out what she was saying because she's hyperventilating by just hearing the word "accident" relating to her daughter's name. Trying her best to focus on what she has to do, she asked the teacher which hospital they were in and if Dani was okay. Her heart broke when she heard the distinct cry of Dani in the background and her face became sombre.

"Mummy... mama..." Her daughter helplessly calls for her parents.

When she hung up, with shaky hands, Anntonia dialled her girlfriend's phone; it was just ringing but she's not picking up. Thinking that she's probably on her way to see their child and she must also be worried for their baby, Ann stood up from her seat even if her knees felt weak and walked outside the gallery but not without telling her staff about the situation and one of them was kind enough to help her call for a cab.

She tried calling her again, but Michelle wasn't answering her phone. When the cab parked outside the hospital, the driver was the one who took her out of her trance, telling her they'd arrived. She blinked once, twice, and swallowed. Scared to see what's waiting for her inside, frightened to see Dani's current state. Her phone rang and vibrated into her sweaty palm, but it was Max.

"Hello. Where are you? Do you have free time? I'm so bored-"

"Max." she said in a monotone voice.