BASIS

basis, n.

There has to be a moment at the beginning when you wonder whether you're in love with the person or in love with the feeling of love itself.
If the moment doesn't pass, that's it - you're done.
And if the moment does pass, it never goes that far. It stands in the distance, ready for whenever you want it back. Sometimes it's even there when you thought you were searching for something else, like an escape route, or your lover's face.

 Sometimes it's even there when you thought you were searching for something else, like an escape route, or your lover's face

Michelle

I am one of those people who has found the person meant to be with me. She was my dream girl—the only woman who helped me fulfil the dream I've always wanted since childhood.

Relationships have to be tested for the bond to become stronger. Anntonia and I have been there many times. Even before we get married, we have our highs and lows. But we know that, in the end, we always find our way to each other.

I know so, because she is here with me. It still feels surreal, but she's stayed and chosen us. And yet, it scares me that one day she'll get tired of loving me once again—enough reason for her to walk away. If she leaves, I'm not sure if I'll survive it this time. Not because I depend on her, but because of the love I have for her. Something that I cannot give to anyone else but her.

"She's leaving me again, isn't she?" I asked my cousin, whose eyes were watching for my daughter.

My eyes are looking at the cerulean body of water in front of us, not wanting her to see my apprehension. "Is she tired of loving me once again?"

Max's gaze turns to me after I voice out my concerns. Her eyes are wide, like saucers, in disbelief that I am questioning Anntonia's love for me. And her lack of answers is making me feel more anxious.

"Michelle, no. God, your wife loves you. She's not leaving you—well, for a week—because she needs to be in New York, but you already know that."

Trying to look indifferent with all my might, "then what?"

"Oh my God, you thought she was leaving you."

"You said I had to talk to her. Maybe she's just waiting for this holiday to be over."

Max drags me away far enough from my daughter and Rhian to hear, "God, no! I'm sorry for making you overthink. She's not. I promise, it's not about her leaving you. But,"

I close my eyes just when I'm about to breathe a sigh of relief. "Just go straight to the point, Max."

"Fine. Ann hasn't told you this because she wants you to enjoy your birthday and the holiday she has prepared for your family. But she and your business partner, or whatever role she has in your company, had an encounter."

Now, I'm looking more lost than earlier, after she told me Ann and I needed to talk.

My cousin groaned at my confused look. "Heather Hastings."