POSTERITY

posterity, n.

I try not to think about us growing old together, mostly because I try not to think about growing old at all. Both things - the years passing, the years together - are too enormous to contemplate. But one morning, I gave in. You were asleep, and I imagined you older and older. Your hair graying, your skin folded and creased, your breath catching. And I found myself thinking: If this continues, if this goes on, then when I die, your memories of me will be my greatest accomplishment. Your memories will be my most lasting impression.

 Your memories will be my most lasting impression

"You okay, baby?"

Her mummy asked, turning back to the child who became quiet behind her. Then a soft giggle made her look back once again to see what caught Dani's attention that made her giggle.

"Look at that, mummy, see, the birds." Dani pointed out. "One, two, thwee, four, five- uh oh, too many."

They're on their way home at two in the afternoon, Michelle was at the office while Ann had to stay home to take care of their daughter. Thankful for the pain meds that were given to Dani, she could slightly move and play around at home. Though she's still adjusting to using her right hand.

The mother and daughter duo went for a walk, and by walk, meant Anntonia was doing all the walking while Dani was sitting comfortably on the wagon that her mother was pulling. Dani's animal plushies and a few grocery bags surrounded it. Ann opted to not use her car so the child wouldn't turn fussy in her car seat. Good thing there was a store just outside and a walking distance near their village.

Ann chuckled at her daughter's antics, "I thought you already know how to count up to thirty? Mama was teaching you last time, right?"

Michelle had set up a mini school for their baby inside Dani's playroom, she got a board installed and some markers for them to use. Her mama acting like her teacher, their nightly classes include various flashcards of phonics, numbers and animals. Art activities were, of course, taught by her mummy. Since Dani couldn't use her dominant hand, her mum had to stick with just watching art videos with her.

"Uh-huh. But they're so many, mummy. Not thirty."

Her mother smiled, she's growing up and conversing a bit properly. "Are you going to help mummy bake mama's cake?" It's the purpose of their walk at the grocery store, Anntonia needed to buy some things she needed for Michelle's birthday. It was all planned out, even before Dani's accident. "Or you can just watch me, okay, honey? Mum doesn't want you to hurt your arm."

Tiny index finger tracing at the cute drawings and stickers on her arm cast. Another activity at home that the three of them did. Using the child's markers, her parents took turns on drawing on her cast, making her laugh the whole time. Mesmerised by her mummy's talent in drawing and doodling, making Michelle to sulk playfully for being outdone by her partner. Dani looked up to see her mother.

"Mmkay, mummy."

The planning of her girlfriend's birthday this year was extra special, because it's her birthday that they're going to celebrate together after missing three of her birthday celebrations after their divorce. It was always a simple happy birthday text or during a phone call with Dani before she hung up, so now Ann wanted to make up for those years that she wasn't with her.