ABSTRACTION

abstraction, n.

Love is one kind of abstraction. And then there are those nights when I sleep alone, when I curl into a pillow that isn't you, when I hear the tiptoe sounds that aren't yours. It's not as if I can conjure you there completely. I must embrace the idea of you instead.

Heather Hastings isn't familiar with how to feel about being on the receiving end of Michelle's anger. Upon working with the young CEO for a few months, she had been nice and considerate towards her. Despite Heather's excessive and persistent flirting, Michelle never once snapped at her or told her to stop.

Well, not until the last time they spoke before their daughter got into an accident. It still broke her heart whenever she remembered how Michelle spoke lovingly about Anntonia. Sometimes it frustrates her, not for Michelle turning her down but for herself for having these feelings for someone whom she knows already loves someone else.

Not to mention seeing how good they looked together when Ann came to pick her up for Michelle's birthday. Everyone saw it—how the smile on her face never once disappeared as she introduced the very well-known artist to everyone in their company.

How the two of them couldn't take their eyes away from each other was added to by the fact of how obvious the chairman's fondness for his daughter-in-law was.

A match made in heaven. Heather heard it once in passing as some ‌employees couldn't help but talk about the couple, jealous of how lucky they were to have found each other. It didn't matter how different their worlds were regarding their jobs, as one is a well-known artist and a gallery director, while Michelle is one of the youngest and most successful businesswomen in their industry.

Everyone was curious about how they'd found each other, though not everyone knows they separated a couple of years ago and just got back together. Well, what does it matter? Heather thought. In everyone's eyes, they were the perfect couple.

"Have you seen their daughter? Goodness, she is so beautiful—the perfect combination of Ms. Dee and her wife. I heard from Audrey that the child loves to paint just like Ms. Porsild."

"So I've heard. The chairman couldn't stop gushing about his only grandchild. Gosh, what a great family they have."

Heather wanted to lash out then because she was feeling helpless, and yet she couldn't stop feeling for her business partner.

So, there she was, her heart beating a tad faster than normal. Of course, Ms. Porsild would tell her about what happened; she'd do the same if Heather were in her shoes. It's true; she was completely out of line this time to comment about their relationship like that.

"I was just telling her how I felt. Don't deny it, Michelle, I almost had you." Heather said proudly, to which the woman she likes just stared at her stoically.