Tyunning- Human Decency

In ten minutes, Taehyun had to leave to meet up with Kai at an incredibly expensive restaurant. Reservations were booked for months out yet the blonde was able to secure one in a week's time. Truthfully, Taehyun wasn't even sure why he was being wined and dined tonight.

The two reconnected at their five year high school reunion. Taehyun barely recognized the blonde when he walked in. He wasn't the only one. Old friends assumed he was there by mistake. Even when Kai introduced himself, people still didn't recognize him. Then it hit him, the blonde was the "loser" who sat alone at lunch.

He was no longer a loser at the reunion. Kai was treated like a celebrity. He dripped in wealth. His suit was a standard black and white yet the price was five fold over what others paid for their rented imitations. His limited edition, royal blue, rolex was only seen when he extended his hand. His diamond earrings were small but of the highest quality.

Kai was definition of silent wealth. Not a hair was out of place nor a blemish to be found on his skin. Everyone noticed him and everyone wanted to be around him. He didn't care. He was only there for one person. After a chat, he could leave.

Taehyun swallowed a lump in his throat when he saw Kai walking up to him.

"Hello. Do you remember me?"

"It took me a moment but I do. College did you well."

"And you? How have you been?"

Taehyun was very aware that everyone in the nearby vicinity was playing attention to them. He did his best to ignore them the way Kai seemed to so easily. "Things haven't worked out the way I wished but it could be worse."

That was putting it lightly. Taehyun was another gifted student who ended up a burnout in the real world. Things that used to come so easily to him proved very difficult when thrown into the reality of working professionals. He passed up opportunities he thought he was too good for and didn't get ones he truly wanted. Like the other washouts, he had to settle for a menial job that he hated. He hated himself every single day for having high school be the best years of his life. He used to make fun of people like that. Karma hit him hard. He felt like he deserved it.

Kai palmed him a card when he shook his hand. "Text me later. I'd like to speak to you again."

"You're leaving already?"

"I wasn't planning on staying. I have an appointment to attend."

"Alright... I'll text you later."

"I look forward to it."

Taehyun's tie was knotted again for the fifth time in less than five minutes. After the 6th time, he gave up. It was good enough. He had to leave.

The restaurant had valet parking. His 2015 Honda Civic embarrassed him when he handed off the keys. Behind him was a striking red Maserati. Behind that was a matte black Porsche. Seeing who stepped out of it, he realized it was the blonde he was having dinner with.

Even more uncomfortable than before, he started waving. He felt like an idiot when Kai didn't see him at first. Unknowing what to do next, he stepped into the entry to wait there. A middle aged woman handed him a set of keys and some cash. Taehyun's face became bright red from being mistaken for a valet. "I don't work here ma'am..."

"Oh! Sorry!" The woman looked at him up and down in disbelief. "I just assumed. Have a nice dinner."

Kai caught the end of that. He rolled his eyes and then happily greeted his guest. "Hey. Don't think too much about it. You look great."

"Thanks..."

"Shall we?"

Taehyun walked into the restaurant and felt even poorer than before. Even the wait staff seemed to have a nicer suit than himself. Handcut flowers and french candles were at the center of every perfectly ironed white tablecloth. An unnecessary amount of silverware was on the sides of each china plate and on each plate was a cloth napkin folded into a rose bud.