Sookai- What if? #8

Short Story Collection- Chapter: Say Something

➡️What if Soobin had stayed in the back for five minutes longer?

Soobin wanted nothing more than to go home and not talk to anyone. His bed and his phone was all he desired. Maybe a drink if one more person managed to piss him off today. If it wasn't for the friends he made at his job, he would've quit a long time ago.

The clock on the register indicated he had 5 minutes left. No one was in line so far. Mentally, he was already clocked out. Taehyun walked behind the counter and asked "what's up everyone's asses today?"

"Tell me about it. The last woman I had demanded I give her a refund for a tuna sandwich."

"Why?"

"She said she was allergic to fish."

"What?"

"That's what I was thinking! Like bitch! Why the fuck did you order it then?! What did you think tuna was?! A chicken?!"

Taehyun died of laughter.

Soobin laughed with him until he saw someone walk through the door. "So close..."

"I can take this guy. Go home and have a drink."

Soobin gladly ran to the back.

Taehyun quickly clocked in, washed his hands, then turned around to help his first customer. "Hi! What can I get for you today?"

"Can I get-"

A loud crash was heard from the back. Taehyun looked behind him to see Soobin accidentally knock over a chair. He turned towards his customer to say "hold on. I'm so sorry!" When he opened the door, he saw a soda spilled on the ground along with Soobin attempting to dab his jacket. "Do you want some help?"

"No. It's okay. Go help that guy. I'll be outta here soon."

"If you say so."

When Taehyun was gone, Soobin grumbled about how "this day can't get any worse. Of course this would fucking happen to me. The universe hates me. The perfect end to a miserable day." His jacket was deamed a lost cause when paper towels couldn't dry the stickiness from his sleeve.

Still upset, Soobin tossed it into a plastic bag then walked out to the front. What he saw was a customer leaving from the register with a sandwich in his hand. He didn't get a good look at his face but he swore the back of the stranger's head reminded him of his ex. The love of his life. The person who he was sure would be his forever until he moved countries when his parents got divorced.

Taehyun looked at Soobin weirdly when he saw how fixated the taller became on his last customer. "Um? Hello? Earth to Soobin?"

Soobin shook his head then awkwardly ran his fingers through his hair. "Sorry. Hey, did that guy look foreign to you? Half white? Half Korean?"

"Yeah? Why?"

Soobin's eyes enlarged as his heart began to race. "Did you get his name?!"

"No? This isn't Starbucks. He just asked for a turkey club so I gave it to him. Why?"

Soobin didn't even bother to answer. He ran out the door like a mad man to chase down the person he lost two years ago. "KAI?! KAI HUENING?!" He searched left and right but couldn't find who he was looking for. "KAI?!"

Clarity kicked in when he remembered he never deleted his ex's number. He quickly scrolled through his contacts to try and find it. "Kai" wasn't a name in there. "FUCK! WHAT DID I SAVE IT UNDER?!"

The next name he tried was "The Cutest". That wasn't it either. After searching deep within his memories, he realized what it had to be. His smile drew to his ears when he found his number under "My Gum".