Brooklyn

Brooklyns PoV

"Home sweet home" my mom places down the last of our boxes on top of the kitchen counter. "How does it feel to be home?" My mom walks round the kitchen island to face me. "Yeh it's good mom" I reply trying to hide my disdain for being here. "It'll be good for you honey. It'll be good for your football career" my mom point as she walks back to the box and opens it. I skooch my bum up onto the counter and pick at an orange "it's soccer here remember" I smile as she looks at me. "Have you spoken to Emma since you landed?" My heart sinks thinking about the girl I left in England. "No mom, we decided it was best just to ... cut ties now" I mumble placing the orange down on the counter. "I'm sorry honey" my mom sadly says feeling the tension in the room. "It's ok mom. I'm gonna head up and sort out my room if that's ok?" I point behind me to the stairs as my mom nods. Placing a quick peck on her cheek I turn round and quickly ascend the stairs.

It's a weird feeling walking back into your childhood room, it brings back so many memories ... some good and some bad. . I have my first day back at north shore tomorrow where I'm assuming I'm going to have to face ...her. I'm dreading it, I'm dreading facing her after all this time. I loved the uk, the move there came along at just the right time for me to escape what was happening here. I fitted in so well there when we first moved. My friend group welcomed me with open arms. Showing me how to properly make tea and wouldn't hide their disgust when I would ask what a kettle was. It took some getting used to but in no time I felt like one of the gang. Hiding from the rain or basking in the sunshine, each day was different. Then I met my girlfriend Emma. She ...obviously... knew I was intersex and that i was embarrassed by it. She would tell me repeatedly not to be embarrassed but I couldn't shift it. She never told a soul. We were the typical teenagers in love and with that comes the usual dramas. My mom moved us to the uk because at the time it was a better choice for my soccer career. I trained up along side the England women's team and my soccer improved immensely from being there. My dream has always been to play USWNT, although I won't lie the women's premiership turned my head slightly. Heading into junior year is when scouts come out so this was the time I needed to make my decision. By now you obviously know I decided to come back to America. Which meant telling Emma and us spending the last few weeks together. Our goodbye was emotional to say the least but it just wasn't meant to be.

So now your brought up to speed I'm now having to get myself organised for my first day back at the cliquiest school on the planet...if it hasn't changed whilst Iv been away. Iv been in the same class as most of these people since kindergarten. My best friend and I kept to ourselves mostly and avoided all the stereotypical groups. I did have a secret from her tho ... or more I was a secret. But I'll tell you about that tomorrow when I arrive at north shore and see what's going on. Which reminds me ... I should call my friend. Pulling out my phone I scroll through the names and numbers landing on Nat ...

"Please tell me you've landed and you're back in the land of greatness?"
I laugh "you loved England when you visited me don't lie"
"Ok yes I will admit I loved the tea and the scones or however they pronounce it but cut to the chase are you back yet or what?"
"I may be sitting in my bedroom right now looking at your dork face haunting the photos on my wall"
"Well I'm offended. You told me you loved looking at my face"
"I don't ever remember saying that but you can dream Nat" I laugh pushing myself off my bed and walking to a box
"So how was the flight? Join the mile high club with a hot air stewardess?" She laughs down the phone as I roll my eyes
"Oh yeh I asked my mom to hold my neck pillow while I banged a stewardess in the bathroom" I smile holding the phone to my ear with my shoulder as I take out some of my stuff
"Knew it. Knew you were kinky Rooky. Are you ready to face the hell that is north shore tomorrow? Also remember and bring your soccer kit because try outs begin tomorrow" I purse my lips wondering which box has my kit in it as I look between the boxes
"Yeh yeh I just need to find it. Anyway is north shore just the same?" I ask whilst looking through the other boxes
"Oh you know of course it is but don't worry I hang out with the soccer girls and considering you're definitely getting a place on the team I'm sure you'll fit in just fine" I sigh pulling out my hold all containing my kit and throw it down in my closet
"Oh so you've cliqued in my absence Nat?" I laugh hearing her groan over the phone
"Well you know my bestie left me ... the bitch and a girls gotta look out for herself especially in the zoo that is north shore. Will I pick you up in the morning? We can go get breakfast like old times? Head to waffle house and you can buy seeing as you abandoned me all those years ago" I laugh at the dramatics of my best friend as I pack away some clothes into the dresser
"I'll buy you one waffle" I tease looking up at the photos that litter my bedroom wall
"Tight ass, make it two and maybe just maybe I'll let you sit with me at lunch" I laugh seeing a photo of Nat and I at our first soccer camp together. We both looked so little.
"Deal see you in the morning dear"
"See you in the morning honey" I laugh as we hang up the phone.