The wheels on the bus

Brooklyns PoV

I take a seat next to Nat who basically led me the whole way here. Someone put in that damn book that I'm intersex ... it had to have been Regina. Nat looks furious as we sit down. "Should you be here you know... because of your" "finish that sentence and I'll knock out all your teeth" Nat snipes to the girl next to me as I stare at the floor. My heart hurting. How could she do this to me? "Never in my thirty one years as an educator have I seen such behaviour. I have half a mind to cancel your spring fling dance" mr Duvall shouts at us all as he stands with the other teachers facing us. "I object" Karen stands up as everyone starts getting worked up about the dance being cancelled. I couldn't care less about the dance now ... not after this. "We are not going to do that because we already paid the DJ" Karen sits down satisified at mr duvalls reply. I'm listening to what's going on but my minds racing thinking about Regina. If she didn't write it in that book herself she must have told someone about it... someone with access to the book. Now the whole school knows I'm different. "But ... I am taking this burn book seriously... now who has something to say about this?" He asks as everyone remains quiet, Nats arm wrapped around me protectively. Silence until a girl in our grade lifts her hand "someone wrote in that
Book that I'm lying about being a virgin because I use super jumbo tampons...but I can't help it if I have a heavy flow and a wide set vagina" Nat rubs her hand up and down my arm. "Ok... thanks ... hold that thought" mr Duvall says before turning round to Miss Norbury. As they have a conversation a girl taps me on the shoulder "hey Brooklyn ... I think it's hot ... like really hot so..." "she's not interested back off" Nat swipes the girl away as I try not to cry. I can't cry here ... I need to get through this and go home and then I can cry. Miss Norbury steps forward as she ... for some reason sings "well" in a really high pitched voice before coughing and excusing herself. "Well....ok hope shots who wrote all this junk?" I can hear movement around me as Miss Norbury looks at Cady "Cady ... any ideas?". "No" cady replies as miss Norbury scoffs "interesting". Then she stands up ... the girl who once again has hurt me "can I just say we don't have a clique problem at this school and some of us shouldn't have to participate in ... whatever this is and uhm just because of a few bad people". My heart aches hearing everything she's saying ... hearing her voice. "A few bad people?" Miss Norbury replies as Regina hums in agreement. "Ok ... well let's unpack that..." I turn quickly to see Regina sit down, she smiles at me and waves before I turn away from her.

Regina's PoV

Why did she turn away from me? She's not in the book ... this doesn't... we were fine when I left this morning? I look next to Brooklyn and see Nat glaring at me with her arm wrapped around Brooklyn. Brooklyn who definitely wants to cry right now ... I know her well enough to know when she's fighting back the tears. "I want everyone to close your eyes ... and I want you to raise your hand if you have ever had anyone say something bad about you behind your back" I look away from Brooklyn to miss Norbury and close my eyes. Lifting my hand before she asks us to open them again, seeing everyone in the gymnasium with their hand in the air. Everyone's hand slowly drops as Miss Norbury asks us to close our eyes again but this time only raise our hand if we have said something bad about a friend behind their back. Everyone apart from Brooklyn and Nat lift their hand and nobody challenges it ... knowing the two have the best friendship. Nat smiles at Brooklyn before resting her head on her shoulder. Miss Norbury nods before turning to the rest of us "hmmm seems like we should take a break from being victims in this situation and start taking responsibility for our actions". "Ok we are going to write out some apologies for people who we have hurt in our lives... everybody up" Miss Norbury instructs as everyone stands up from the bleachers.