BITTER LEMONS

(Kindly note: This chapter was written in Sunoo's part of view.)

"Forceps. Spreader. Hurry up, will you?", I snapped at the lazy nurse, assessing me for one of the biggest surgeries I was ever assigned to handle. The CEO of Megazine Fashion had suffered from a third degree cardiac arrest and was requiring immediate surgery, springing us all into action but here, this indolent nurse was acting quite the opposite, making me lose my cool. 

"Yes sir...", she replied, sluggishly, almost giving not a single fuck about it. She reached out her hand to grab the spreader, focusing more on showing her cleavage to me rather than working. When I looked at her, she gave me one of the most predictable and unreasoned smile which soon twisted into a smirk. 

"He'll die and your cleavage won't save him, Choi.", I snarked at her as she looked down in embarrassment, finally letting me the spreader after innumerable number of pleadings. The OT burst into chuckles at her reaction. Thank God, she at least had that much sanity left in her to finally look down. It was always my attempt to keep the mood light in the OT, given that such panicky situations definitely lead to a rush of adrenaline in our bodies, let alone the sufferer's family. 

It felt like it was my job, my duty, my responsibility to keep everyone happy; except for myself. I had no rights to be happy and life threw that fact on my face, with no shame. I had accepted this unspoken rule quite a while ago and that was when I lost the lush of excitement which came with living. Why? 

Because I felt like living, no more. 

I operated with full focus, casually and rather easily bouncing the seductive looks thrown at me by Choi Sana.  Good grief, this woman- 

She had always been a wannabe for men and everyone in the hospital, was aware of her lewd desires for money, fame and a handsome jock. It did not matter for her if the guy was nine or ninety. She actually had the potential to justify the statement, 'age is just a number' very well. Exceptionally well, so much so, that she was nothing more than a slut for everyone now. A lewd, disgraceful and horny slut. 

The operation wasn't simple at all, given that one of his arteries had burst due to the immense pressure of the blood spiking the complexity level, to the height of rockets but, experience made me learn a lot about my career, my fate and most importantly, my life; which wasn't the sweetest. It was bitter than Satan's poison which he may use to drug you to Hell. 

All my temptations, desires and wishes had burned to ashes when I realised that Kim Jin-Sung was my father; the father who had despised me, his entire life, the father who had tried to kill Kim Jin-Myeong, my noona when she was born and the father, that was responsible for the break out of our family. 

Noona had shifted to New York, well settled with her husband and the cutest niece ever, Shin Moon-young. I adored my noona who had always been like a motherly figure for me, since I was the reason why she was dead. If only, I hadn't taken birth in this inhumane world, she would've been alive, happily or unhappily, at least living, breathing.

But no...

Fate had challenged me to the most fiery battle of a lifetime and currently the score was Kim Sunoo zero and Fate infinity. She had the upper hand though, not to mention that she was the one who toyed with everyone's life like a total dick. 

The sole reason that I was breathing today was only one human and that too the purest human to have ever existed, I could personally vouch for it. He was my best friend, Park Jimin. The guy I trust the most, the guy who had saved me from nearly jumping off my school's rooftop after being inappropriately touched and beaten by a group of school jocks, the guy who played oxygen for me. In a platonic way...

If it hadn't been for him, the Sunoo who was breathing today, unfortunately, would've ended his life like a fucking coward but, he taught me how to fight. He gave me the long lost will power to survive in this monstrous world where human is like a junk of meat, with reapers tearing apart the flesh from the bones. It survived on a sole rule, run and fight to live or else you'll be chewed on by your peers and especially life. 

I had accepted the challenge and life was sure giving me a tough competition, moving head to head with me but I wasn't anything less than stubborn. It was the only thing that me and life agreed upon that we both were stubborn as hell. 

Go fuck about it, I don't care.

I had learnt not to care, though in the hard and tedious way.

I bothered Jimin the most for he feared that I'll end up eventually running away from life but he had my word for it. I wasn't going to run away like I did before, when I was five. When I could overcome the torture and abuse from my father, my own father, this was nothing. They weren't lemons, thrown at me by life, but rather, acidic bombs which I tried to dodge every time one closed a bit too much proximity between the two of us. 

The operation was although successful, it took a handsome amount of time to finish it up and, by handsome, I mean a total of nine hours. The patient had been admitted at nearly 10:40 in the morning and the clock read 7:42, right now. 

Life was being peculiarly hard on me today, yeah?

I almost felt like sleeping right then and there on the floor but, the view that stood in front of me made my eyes sparkle. "Jimin~ah...", I tiredly exclaimed, engulfing him in a hug. "Aw, my Sunoo got tired today, hm?", he asked, in the politest tone ever. I nodded lazily in response earning a chuckle from the former. "Let's go home. I'll make my special Chimmy ramyeon for you.", he asserted as I immediately began dragging him outside. He laughed at my reaction with me following shortly. 

I hated my life will be an understatement and I do not wish to disregard my opponent till that level. 

If life had to make a mockery out of me, I must be the host of the show. 

Period~