THE SURGERY

Kindly note: (This chapter was written in Sunoo's part of view.)

It was rather another hectic day for me because I had a night shift today. God, I hated night shifts! The hospital just felt a million times creepier at night. It's not that I was alone there; I had a couple other doctors working with me with Ms. Briganza sweeping the floors while jamming to her favourite song, 'About Damn Time' by Lizzo.

 I could see her through my cabin as I chuckled when she did a body roll and even a hair flip. I loved how carefree she was and her attitude towards our patients was commendable. They loved her and so did we all. 

I had just returned after checking up on Mr. Joo Seong-wook, an elderly patient, with heart cancer. Poor man. He was a gem but sadly, did not have enough time to live. He had been with us for about three months now and it felt hard to bid a goodbye. 

He was on the last stage and could pass away any time now. But, he was a strong willed man with the will of a roaring tiger. He assured me that he will take care of himself whilst being in Heaven and I couldn't have been more than happy. I was casually going through his file when I heard my door swing open. I flinched at the sudden sound and looked up, only to be greeted by Lee Seok-Min, my junior and an exceptionally good Orthopedist. "Hyung!", he yelled. "What happened Min?", I asked giving him a dumbfounded look. 

"Someone was shot thrice. They say he's critical.", he frantically spoke. I got up from my seat and asked, "Is he conscious?" 

"Negative.", he spoke with panic dripping from his voice. "HAVE THEY GIVEN HIM CPR?!", I yelled, running out of my cabin. I reached the reception and enquired about the new patient. She told me he was requiring open heart surgery, immediately, as per the other cardiologists. "Sunoo~yah! Come, we need you right now!", yelled Choi Do-Yoon signalling me to come with him which I did. 

The nurses immediately got us dressed as I entered the Operation Room after praying to God. The patient was lying on the bed, with his eyes half closed. I checked the monitor. His heart beat was slowing down. He was already given a dose of Anesthesia. "Fast! Surgical blade!", I began the surgery. 

I made a six inch incision down the centre of his chest. The wound was deep and bullet was stuck in his heart, making it even more dangerous. If it reacted, we'd be doomed. I had to cut off his sternum and opened his rib cage to reach his heart. It was difficult to get the bullet out but I did, with my hands now covered with the blood of...

Park Sunghoon?

I hadn't even seen the patient until now...

No wonder, no one else was touching him or his body. I looked around only to see a shivering Do-Yoon who was looking down, not daring to even help me out. I heaved a sigh of frustration and yelled, "ARE WE WAITING FOR HIM TO DIE?" Everyone flinched at my sudden outburst but I was not feeling in my senses. 

"He's our patient and it does not matter if he's a mafia or not. Got me clear, y'all?", I warned with a chilling voice. 

Everyone jolted into action, actively participating in the surgery. We got all the bullets out and now, he was way out of danger. Phew. The surgery took a good five hours with everyone now dripping with sweat and tiredness smeared on their faces. 

It was now nearly four in the morning and I wished for nothing but sleep. God, I was tired. I had just performed surgery on the biggest mafia in Asia. My hands surely trembled but it was necessary. We had put him on an oxygen cylinder, because he had trouble breathing by himself due to the surgery. I came out of the OT, only to be bombarded by a ton of questions by some unknown people, probably the patient's family. 

"HOW IS HE NOW?! WHAT HAPPENED?", asked an immensely panicked guy, probably older than me. "He's out of danger, sir. Please clam down.", I replied, soothingly patting his back. "The bullets are out, right?", asked another guy, with a sweaty forehead and teary eyes. "Yes, he's absolutely fine now, is he?", enquired a fellow, with his hands shaking. I smiled brightly at them and said, "He's totally fine now but he'll be required to stay in the hospital for a while. Please bare with us, while we treat him."

The second guy sighed in relief, folding his hands and praying to God. They all hugged each other, with the first guy breaking down. I looked at him, pity clouding my face as I patted his back, once again. He hugged me and said, "Thank you, so so so much doc. I would've died out of guilt if something had happened to him.", I hugged him back and said, "You'll get to meet him soon, my friend. He's okay, don't worry." 

I broke the hug and asked the group, "May I know who you all are, though?" The third guy came forward and replied, "We are his friends and his family. I'm Lee Heeseung."

"I'm Sim Jake.", the second guy said, in a clogged voice, wiping his tears. "I'm Jay. Park Jay.", the first guy said. "Nice to meet y'all. Please get his registration done.", I said, making them nod in response. "Now, if you'll excuse me. I need to go on rounds.", I said, smiling at the group who returned the smile efficiently. 

It was a tedious surgery and now, I was on rounds. I hadn't noticed it until the surgery ended but that guy was actually really handsome. He looked nothing but a real prince. Did this don business actually make you turn out, this fine? I chuckled at my thoughts, unable to understand their origin. He had been shifted to the ICU in a private room. Of course, he was a darned business monstrosity. 

I was now back at my cabin with my shift ending really soon. 

God, I wanna go home...

"SIR! Mr. Joo Seong-wook!", barged in a nurse. I dashed out once again...

Could this day get any worse? Fate still hates me, after all.