Chapter 3: Kernwith Abbey

Bright sunlight woke Daniela as they were arriving at the Abbey. It was late morning, perhaps midday. The apprehension of the last few days had given way, and she had been able to sleep peacefully.

Kernwith Abbey was a grand church of light gray stone and surrounded by a complex of buildings. Charles got down from the bench with the driver and one of the guards opened her door. Charles must not have been able to ride through the night and needed a rest, Daniela thought. Maybe she should have told him to stay in the carriage.

In the bright light of day, Daniela's peach dress, now thoroughly rumpled, looked even sillier than yesterday, and she hoped she could change soon. They were brought to a stout gray building and into an office.

"Reverend Mother." Charles greeted a middle-aged nun amiably and kissed her hand. She wore a long gray habit that seemed to be made of miles of fabric.

"Your Majesty," she replied, placing a hand on his cheek. "It has been much too long. I am so sorry for the loss of your father. May the Lord God grant him peace."

"This is Princess Daniela of Brasador." Charles gestured to Daniela, who curtsied, unsure if that was the right way to greet someone of her rank. It didn't seem to matter to the head nun.

"What a charming young lady," the Reverend Mother said, soothing Daniela's fears with her mild voice. "We'll get you to your room to rest right away."

Another nun came for her.

"Goodbye, Princess Daniela," Charles said, and bowed.

"Goodbye, Your Majesty."

Down the corridor they went to a little room with two beds and a big bright window. There wasn't much else besides a writing desk and two small wardrobes. A tan girl, taller than Daniela although seemingly younger, careened down the hall and bounded in behind them. Freckles dusted her nose and her soft, tawny hair hung in two long braids.

"Oh! You're here! Are you the princess? Oh, I am so glad you will be sharing my room, all the girls will be so jealous," she said brightly, without taking a breath.

"Nicole! Mind your manners." The nun chided.

"Oops! I mean-it is a pleasure to meet you, Your Majesty? Highness? Ladyship?" Nicole stopped mid-curtsy to puzzle it over.

"It's 'Highness'," the nun corrected, "although while she stays with us, she will be known simply as 'Daniela'."

The nun left the girls to get acquainted and for Daniela to rest. She wouldn't be able to do much resting though, given how much energy young Nicole had. The girl had questions about everything and asked them frankly. It was not a restful day, but it was comfortable, in a way.

It was common knowledge at the convent who Daniela was and why she was in Aramdeau. It was strange to Daniela that the news had traveled so fast, since she had only heard about the engagement herself three days ago.

Over time, she got a clearer picture of the reasons behind the arranged marriage, at least from the perspective of the Aram people. Aramdeau had won the recent war against Brasador. When Brasador lost, her father, King Solanio, publicly swore vengeance and swore to one day retake the Western Lands. She also learned that those lands were almost entirely barren and uninhabited.

After the war, when the previous Aram king died, many Brasadoran nobles thought that a disrupted Aramdeau led by a child would be a weaker target, and they may have been right. However, King Solanio felt an attack was too risky, and wanted a way out of the war without going back on his vow. So when the new Aram king offered marriage to Daniela to strengthen the peace between the two countries, the Brasadoran king jumped at the opportunity.