Chapter 15: Your Impatient Husband

Daniela's mind felt less cluttered after a night's rest. The events of the day before had been trying, but she was determined now to fulfill the duty she had taken upon herself. She spent the morning continuing the interviews, but in the afternoon, the residents of the castle gathered to send off Lord Sutton's body. A large open wagon bore his casket draped in the Sutton family crest. Behind it followed a wagon of all his belongings. The Archpriest held a service of mourning in the chapel.

Three more days passed with investigations that bore no fruit. No one inside the castle saw anything amiss, and there had not been anyone near enough outside the castle to see anything at all. Daniela grew frustrated, but at least another letter from the north arrived.

Dear Daniela,

I would like you to continue to lead the investigation, if you are willing. I have written to each councilor to ask for their full support. They can be difficult and headstrong, but I would trust each with my life, and they will help you if they can.

I never thought I would be putting you in such a troubling situation by leaving you regent, but I believe it was the right choice. Tom thinks you are doing the best that anyone could do, and it demonstrates to the country that I trust you as queen, which I do.

Regardless of whether the investigation yields results, promise me that you will stay safe. If there is ever a reason to believe that you are in danger, just leave the castle. You can go to the home of my mother's family, or the home of one of your ladies-in-waiting, or even to Brasador if need be. Just promise me that, and I can rest easy.

My situation is mostly unchanged. We inch closer and closer in on the enemy, but progress is slow. I would not be able to pull out my army, but if I am needed at the castle, I could leave Duke Pearson in command and return alone at once. Simply give the word, and I will be there.

You might like to know that a group of nuns from Kernwith Abbey visited our camp the other day bringing blankets and provisions for the men. Many of them knew you and were eager to hear about you. The Reverend Mother in particular wanted to make sure you were happy at the castle. I may never have told you this, but she is my mother's aunt, and very dear to me. She is the reason why we chose for you to stay at Kernwith Abbey.

My mind should be full of tactics, but each day I grow more and more distracted waiting to hear from you. End this despondency and write as fast as you can.

Your impatient husband,

Charles

The letter eased Daniela's mind, and the last lines made her smile. She quickly began to write, but found her inkwell was dry. She got up to call a servant, then froze before opening the door. She could hear two voices in the hallway right outside her room.

"You are avoiding me," a low voice said teasingly. It was Captain Phillips.

"No, I'm not." It was Nicole.

"Indeed, I know that you are! Just yesterday I saw you pretend not to see me."

"Fine. Yes, I am avoiding you," she conceded seriously.

"What? What do you mean?"

"I just think it best not to be seen so much together. People will talk, and—"

"You don't care about any of that!" 

"You're wrong." Nicole spoke firmly. "I do care."

"I don't believe you. Why—"