Chapter 21: A Day in Winter

Brasador did not attempt another attack. For a while there was some concern that King Solanio would retaliate and take revenge for the death of his son, but he did not. Some people speculated that he did not care enough for his son to bother. After all, Frederico had gone to war against his wishes. However, there were whispers that the opposite was true; that he fell into so great a despair that he had not the strength for revenge.

There was the question of his succession. For now, Daniela was the heir apparent to the Brasadoran throne. But she was sure that would change soon. Her father could easily name some distant relation as heir, or perhaps he even had an illegitimate child somewhere. It was no concern of Daniela's; she had never coveted her brother's place.

The successor of the Northwest Duchy was also under discussion. Duke Leo Pearson would hang; there was no escape for him under Aram law. His father, Lazarus Pearson, slowly recovered his health. The popular rumor was that Leo had been poisoning his father to take over the dukedom, but Lazarus refused any sort of investigation. His son would already pay for his crimes with his life; there was nothing more that could come of it.

Even though he regained his health, Lazarus Pearson refused to take up the mantle of Duke. Some said that he joined a monastery; others said that he just wandered from town to town. After weeks of deliberation, Charles and the council decided that there was no suitable individual to inherit the title. Instead, the Northwest Duchy would be divided among nobles with any prior claims on the land. As an unintended consequence, a small estate once claimed by Nicole's ancestors was passed to her.

Lynette fared better than Leo. Because she had cooperated in the end, she did not hang, and would likely not be imprisoned for her entire life. But it would be many years before her release was even considered. As a small kindness to her parents, who had also cooperated, she was moved to a prison closer to where they lived, so they could visit her freely.

Six months after the conflict with Brasador, a small wedding was held in a little chapel to the south of Ternhaligon Castle. Daniela walked up the aisle with Charles and sat in the first pew. They turned around and watched Nicole and Thomas walk up the aisle arm in arm and kneel before the priest. Nicole was beaming, and Thomas could not stop turning to look at her, even when they were supposed to keep their heads down.

"In the sight and care of the Lord, we meet to join Nicole Berlwynn and Thomas Phillips in blessed matrimony. Today we remember the gifts of the Lord God." The priest opened his bible and began to read.

"The Lord gave the people thirst, but he also gave us rain. The Lord gave the people hunger, but he also gave us food. The Lord gave us troubles, but he also gave us those who would bear those burdens with us. The Lord gave us Strife, but he also gave us Love."

The passage was short and sweet.

"Remember these words as you venture into life together. For each other, you will bear burdens and overcome troubles. For each other, you will Love and overcome Strife." The priest smiled at the kneeling couple. "Will you both, under the watchful eye of our Lord the Creator, be bound by marriage and love through all things?"

"I will," Thomas and Nicole said eagerly, accidentally speaking in unison. The small party of guests laughed cheerfully.

"Please rise and exchange your final vow."

Thomas gave Nicole a hand up, and continued holding her hands as they made their vows. "In the sight and care of the Lord, I thee wed."

"In the sight and care of the Lord, I thee wed." Nicole did not wait for any sign from the priest, and kissed her new husband as their friends cheered and clapped.

After only a few months as the Lady of a small district in the north, Nicole gave up her title and rank as a noble to marry Thomas. She didn't even bother to visit. There was probably some distant cousin out there who might snatch it up, but she didn't care. Before being sent with Daniela's message to the troops in the north, Thomas had returned Nicole's affections, and Nicole decided at that moment that when he made it back, she would give up anything to be with him.