Chapter 19: Rest

Dear Daniela,

Much has happened these last few days. After Tom's arrival, we arrested Duke Pearson and anyone close to him. I can hardly fathom his betrayal. For many years I considered him my friend. I will not repeat the things he said when we arrested him, but it is clear to me now that he never felt the same.

With the way these last battles played out, I should have known they were no accident. Over and over, we ran right into traps and ambushes. I have been a fool to trust him, and many men have died needlessly for it.

At least, after the arrest, the enemy was easily quashed. Most ran to their ships before the fight even began. I suppose there was no more payment to make it worth their while.

Now we have a greater threat to face. We cannot know when Prince Frederico was originally planning to invade, but as soon as he catches wind of Leo's arrest, he will likely make his move. As I write this, we are making our last preparations to depart for home. This letter will ride ahead of the army, but we should only be two or three days behind. We will regroup with the reserve forces and spend one night at the castle before marching to the eastern border.

How I have missed you, Daniela. Now that I am so close to seeing you again, I feel it all the more. In each letter I wrote you I stopped myself from saying all that I felt, and I fear now never getting the chance. I want to talk with you and see your smile. I want to walk by your side. I want to hold your hand.

Forgive me for speaking so suddenly in this way. I have much that I regret now, and I could not stand adding another regret by concealing my heart.

I will see you soon.

Love,

Charles

Daniela read the letter for the thousandth time. It was the third night since it had arrived, and Charles was expected at any moment. But it was getting late, and Daniela had sent her ladies away for the night. She would not go to bed. She stayed dressed, moving anxiously between chairs and the window.

Love, Charles, she repeated. Love, Charles. She sat on the edge of her bed and leaned sideways, lying down with her feet still on the floor. She had had an inkling of his growing regard for her; a hope. But thinking for so long that he did not want her had not given her the courage to hold on to that hope. Now she felt a wave of relief, and even more strongly, happiness. He missed her, he wanted to see her, he wanted to be with her. Daniela hadn't realized how badly she wanted that from him until she saw it there on the page.

Then she was gently shaken awake. It felt like she had only closed her eyes for a second. It was still dark, and her candle had gone out.

"Your Majesty, you asked me to tell you when the king arrived." Anne whispered.

"He is here?" Daniela stood up quickly and started for the door, though a little groggy.

"Yes, he's gone straight to his room."

"Thank you, Anne, thank you." Daniela turned around and pushed open the door in the bookcase. Without hesitating, she went through and opened the door beyond it into his room.

Charles was slouching in a chair, still dressed for the road. His mussed hair fell over his brow. He stood in surprise when she burst in. Daniela ran forward and threw her arms up around his neck, and felt Charles wrap his arms tightly around her waist.

"I thought you would be asleep," Charles whispered into her shoulder.

Slowly they pulled away, keeping hold of each other's hands. Being with him again was at once nerve-wracking and entirely comfortable. They had grown close through their letters, but being so physically near still felt new and strange.

Daniela smiled, but could not look up at him. "You probably want to change." She dropped Charles' hands and left the room almost as quickly as she'd come in.

In her own room, Daniela undressed to her chemise in a flurry. Perhaps she should have made a lady stay up after all, because now her laces kept getting stuck. Slowly she pushed open the door to the shared room and crept into bed, pulling her cold feet quickly under the covers. She had not thought to bring a candle, and it was pitch black.

Daniela heard the door creak open and Charles softly stepped inside. He carried a candle, and left it lit on the side table as he quietly got in bed. They had always slept on their sides, facing away. Now Charles was facing her. Daniela rolled over and met his eyes in the soft candlelight.

Charles moved his hand forward, resting it on the bed in the space between them. Daniela gently reached out and held it. She could feel the ring on his finger that she had given him. Charles' eyes closed slowly, and she watched him breathe softly in and out. How weary he must be.

"I love you," Daniela whispered under her breath.

Charles' lips slowly turned up into a smile, and he opened his eyes again. Daniela felt her face warm, but she did not look away.

"I loved you first," Charles said.

Daniela's heart flitted. "Is that so? For how long?"

"I am not sure. I think... when I kissed you in the procession in town. I loved you then," he said softly.

Daniela smiled. "I thought that was for show."

Charles shook his head as best he could against the pillow. "No. But maybe it wasn't then. I think it was earlier still."

"Really?"

"When I first saw you; when you arrived at the castle."

"In the throne room? That must have been because of all my fine jewels." Daniela laughed.

"No, not then. Earlier that day, I saw you arrive in your carriage. I had been out riding. I knew when you were coming, and I wanted to see you."

"That's not fair!" Daniela said in benign indignation. "I worked hard to make a good first impression, you know. Besides, you did not know me then, that is not love."

"You are right, my wise queen." Charles drew her hand toward him and kissed it gently. "But I knew at that moment that I would love you, and that feeling grew every day since then."

"Very well, I will accept it." Daniela could not stop smiling, but her eyes were weary and began to close. Charles interlaced his fingers in hers, and they drifted into sleep.