Chapter 11: Departures

The day arrived when their last guests would be leaving the castle. The Brasadoran party was one of the last to go, and Charles had to see them off. He was not eager to do it, since he knew now that Daniela's family had treated her poorly in her youth, and he suspected that it had been even worse than what she had told him.

Thankfully, Crown Prince Frederico had spent most of his stay out of the way. Whether he was just off drinking and gambling, Charles couldn't say, and frankly, he did not care to know. In passing, Frederico bore a resemblance to Daniela, with their dark hair and bright eyes, but in both looks and temperament, that was where the similarities ended. Daniela's expressions were reserved, though her feelings were sometimes betrayed by the rosiness of her cheeks. Frederico was never afraid to let the world know how displeased he was, and he was frequently displeased. Where Daniela was conscientious, her brother was brash. Charles had no siblings of his own to compare to, but he could not have imagined it possible for two people so closely related to be so different.

"Well, little brother, I'm sure you'll be glad to see the backs of us," Frederico said in front of his carriage.

Charles grimaced at the address. "Not at all, I am pleased you were able to stay with us for so long."

"Come now, a fortnight is nothing when you're among family."

"I pray your travels are safe and comfortable."

"Oh, you pray, do you?" Frederico's words dripped with contempt. "I am glad you are a religious man; that will be pleasing to my pious little sister." His friends laughed with him, and Charles said nothing. Frederico wanted to get a rise out of him. "I hope that little nun will treat you well. I have heard that the most saint-like women become the most-"

He was cut off by the urgent arrival of a messenger on horseback. If he had not been, Charles might have struck him, and let the whole treaty be damned.

"Forgive me, Your Majesty, I was told that this message could not wait."

"Where do you ride from?" Charles asked the horseman, ignoring his brother-in-law who was climbing sulkily into the carriage.

"From the northwest, from Duke Pearson," the messenger said, then corrected himself. "From the former duke, I mean."

"Thank you." Charles said, then turned back to Frederico. "Excuse me, I must see to this at once. Have a pleasant journey." He walked back into the castle without waiting for a response.

Your Majesty,

Ten ships have been spotted off the coast. We suspect them to be coastal raiders. I request my son return home at once.

Lazarus Pearson

Charles reread the note from his uncle as he stood in the castle's entryway, then walked quickly to his study. A few years ago, his uncle's poor health led him to step down as duke in the Northwest Duchy and leave the position to his son, Leo. But Lazarus Pearson was still a trusted advisor to Charles, so he did not take these words lightly. If his uncle thought the ships posed a serious threat, then that was likely the truth.

Charles opened the study door to find his cousin waiting for him.

"Leo, you must have heard."

"Yes, I just received word from my father. I'd like to leave by tonight."

"At least go in the morning. It will take you a few days to get there regardless, and we can prepare more supplies for you to bring."

Leo shook his head. "You know my father, if he'd wanted me to come tomorrow, he'd have said so. It must be quite urgent."