Chapter 13: Customs and Gifts

Dear Daniela,

Your letter has done me a world of good. It has been raining for three days, and I had nearly forgotten what it felt like to be dry. What I would give to sit by the fire with a good book to read!

I think you should write to your old maid, if you have not already. A diplomatic crisis is unlikely, if that was one of your concerns. Perhaps Baron Lansing may be able to help find her if she no longer works at the Brasadoran castle; he has connections there from before the first war. I know she will be happy to hear from you. You could even offer a position at Ternhaligon Castle, if it pleases you.

I am sorry I cannot write longer, we begin our next advance soon. No more ships have landed, but those that have already established a base have dug in and will not budge. They are unlike any people I have met before. They wear no metal armor and use only short weapons for fighting in close quarters. I thought their purpose would be to pillage at random, but they make few attempts.

Do not let these events cast a gloom over the castle; I shall not hear of it! If you want music, call for music!

Sincerely,

Charles

Daniela tucked the letter into her purse and stepped into the carriage. Nicole and Paulina were already inside, and Captain Phillips rode on horseback beside them.

"So, my lady, what are you thinking of for this gift?" Nicole asked.

"I am not yet sure. Perhaps a new book, or something practical?" Daniela responded.

Paulina sniffed. "It is most proper for a young lady to embroider a favor with her own hands for her new husband, instead of buying some trifle."

"Yes, and I do intend to," Daniela said, smiling to herself at Lady Paulina's predictable answer. "However, my needlework has always been slow. If I start now, the war will be over before I can send it to him. He has given me so many gifts since I came here and even before, but I have never given him anything. Now that I have realized it, I do not want to wait."

Paulina looked out the window with a little huff. She was only joining them because she did not trust Nicole to chaperone properly.

"Have you thought about sitting for a portrait?" Nicole asked. "I have seen people carry small ones of their spouses in their pockets."

Daniela blushed at the suggestion of such an intimate gift. It was presumptuous to even consider it. "No, I don't think so... besides, I would like to send it with my letter today."

The carriage arrived at the market in Greenholde and they got out to walk around. Paulina followed close to Daniela; Nicole lagged behind to walk with the captain. Daniela stopped at a little stall selling hard candies filled with cloves and ginger.

"Captain Phillips," she called back to him, "does His Majesty care for sweets?"

"Yes, Your Majesty, I believe so. And these are thought to be good for your health."

Daniela bought a box, and Nicole and Captain Phillips carried it back to the carriage. She still wanted to get something more personal, so they continued to explore. Besides, Nicole had not yet had a chance to see the town, so she did not want to rush.

The bookshop was the first place Daniela wanted to stop. She loved looking around at the embossed leather spines and flipping through the pages of fine calligraphy, but there was nothing today that she thought Charles had not probably seen or read already.