Chapter 12: Write to Me

"I'm sure you know that in Brasador, taxes are paid from the individual directly to the crown. Here in Aramdeau, the noble ruler of each region is responsible for the collection of taxes, and may choose to do so however he sees fit," Queen Imelda said.

"In the Northwest Duchy, I remember that landowners paid a fraction of their grain in taxes, and another fraction to the church." Daniela replied, pouring over a collection of great books in Imelda's sitting room. For the last two weeks since Charles rode north, Imelda had been teaching her more detailed statecraft than she'd been able to learn at Kernwith Abbey.

"Yes, most regions have more or less the same system, but those with port cities choose to focus on taxing imports, or choose to collect a wider variety of goods as payment."

"Doesn't this allow nobles to keep taxes for themselves? In Brasador, nobles can only profit from their personal land, not the entire region they rule."

"Yes, some profit greatly by collecting more taxes than they need. But in years when they cannot collect enough from the people to pay the crown, they are required to pay out of their own coffers. Beyond that, Aram nobles use tax funds to maintain and fund their own military forces. In Brasador, regional armies are all directly controlled by King Solanio."

"If they have their own militaries, isn't there a concern that a region will turn against the king?" Daniela asked.

"Well, it has happened before." Imelda shuffled through the books and pulled out a broad history book. She flipped through and placed strips of ribbon between some of the pages. "Why don't you read these sections before we meet again? Each time such a thing has happened, it has failed. But we must understand why they chose to turn against the reigning king to prevent it from happening again." She handed the book over to Daniela and smiled. "That is more than enough for today."

Daniela thanked her and took the book. She knew it must not be easy for Imelda to be helping her right now, but hopefully it gave her some distraction. Imelda carried herself with dignity, but Daniela knew she was worried for her son.

When Daniela returned to her chambers, a letter was waiting for her on her desk. She tore the wax seal off. At last, it was from Charles.

After their argument, Daniela had been overwhelmed with embarrassment and anger. She thought that confronting him was the right thing to do, but it went nothing how she expected, and the whole conversation probably made everything worse. She had been worried about how to face him after that, but he was suddenly called to war, and she never got the chance. He did not even come back to their bed.

They only spoke again once right before he left. Knights, archers, infantry, and squires had gathered in the field outside the castle gates, and were beginning the slow march north. Charles looked like a different person in his breastplate and dark chainmail.

"I have told the council that if I cannot be reached for any urgent matters, you are to be considered regent," Charles said soberly. "In all likelihood nothing will happen; just be prepared." He tightened the leather straps on his wrists. "Thomas and his guard will be staying here."

He looked like he wanted to say something else, then grabbed Daniela's hand.

"You will write to me, won't you?" he said earnestly. "I mean, I'll have to write first so I can tell you how to reach me, but then, will you?"

"Yes, I will," was all Daniela managed to say. Charles said farewell and rode off.

Now, two weeks later, the long awaited letter had finally arrived.

Dear Daniela,

We have finally made camp on the northwestern coast. You will hear all the details later in my letter to the council, but we have fought twice already with additional ships attempting to land. I do not know who these forces are or where they come from. It is like they have unlimited men and weapons no matter how many we take down. At least for now, their forward momentum has stopped.