Chapter 8: In the Sight and Care

Daniela woke long before she meant to and waited as patiently as she could by the window. Carts were already rolling up to the castle with flowers, food, mead and wine. Soon there would be carriages full of guests following the same road. When her patience ran out, she went ahead and bathed herself before the ladies-in-waiting arrived. She was sure they wouldn't mind.

Her ladies were matching in pale blue dresses trimmed with thin braids of silver thread. They carried the white fabric bundle with the wedding dress like it was a newborn. The silver and crystals were just as striking to see the second time. Two ladies lifted the dress over her head, and then closed up a long line of dainty buttons that ran all the way down her back. The neckline of the dress was wide; it rested just on the edge of her shoulder, scooped down across her chest, and up to the other shoulder. It was certainly heavy, but so well-fitted that it was not difficult to wear.

Daniela gasped when she saw herself in the mirror. It looked like magic; like her skin itself was made of glimmering, shattered glass that melted into a puddle on the floor.

Last night, Nicole and Marie had twisted Daniela's hair around little strips of fabric. Now they took the fabric out to reveal soft, bouncing curls. Carefully, Paulina took a section of hair from the crown of Daniela's head, leaving half of her hair down loose and leaving curls framing her face. She twisted this section and pinned it up, then covered it in a circle of silver netting. Lynette brought out another garment from the bundle; a shimmery, transparent veil that must have been at least ten feet long. They placed it carefully over Daniela's head so it covered her face and trailed behind her. The world looked gauzy and pale.

There was a private chapel in the back of the castle where the ceremony would take place. It was decorated from floor to ceiling with irises, violets, and white roses. As Daniela entered with her ladies-in-waiting filed behind her, she was met by the smiles of Queen Imelda and Baron Lansing, the cold judgment of her brother, and an indiscernible smirk from the blonde duke she had met the other day. At the altar beside the Archpriest, King Charles stood as proudly and properly as ever. His formal black doublet complete with silver-trimmed collar and cuffs, blue sash, sword, and heavy crown gave him an especially distinguished and sober air. But as Daniela reached him and they knelt before the priest, he gave her a private smile.

The Archpriest, dressed in long sandy robes, began the service with a resounding voice that filled the chapel. "In the sight and care of the Lord, we meet to join King Charles Ternhaligon of Aramdeau and Princess Daniela Khonadry of Brasador in blessed matrimony. First, we shall hear the record of our sacred creation." He opened a large, leather-bound bible, and began to read.

"The Lord God created the world and so loved the world. He created people to live upon the world. But the people knew only the good things of the world, and were ungrateful. And so the Lord God gave Strife to the world.

"The people cried, 'Oh Lord, why do you treat us so? Take away the Strife you have given us.' He knew that they would again become ungrateful, so he did not take away the Strife. The people cried again, 'Oh Lord, we will not be ungrateful. Take away the Strife you have given us.'

"God pitied the people, so he gave them Love. Then the people loved the good things of the world as God loved the good things, and the people loved one another as God loved the people."

It was a passage Daniela knew by heart, and it gave her some comfort to hear it now. She had seen many weddings at Kernwith Abbey. The creation story was commonly used, and she might have chosen it herself if she'd been the one to plan the service. The priest closed the bible and continued.

"Today we remember the gifts of our Lord God. He gave us the world, full of good things. He gave us inevitable Strife. And he gave us Love. The life that lies before you will be full of good things, as the world is. And it will have inevitable Strife, as the world does. To be grateful for good things and to overcome Strife, the people of the world needed Love. So too does the life that lies before you. I bid thee: love the Lord God when there are good things, and love the Lord God in times of Strife. So too I bid thee: love each other when there are good things, and love each other in times of Strife."