Chapter 4: Charles' Decade

Charles' ten years were spent somewhat differently. He could barely remember leaving Kernwith Abbey on what had been one of the most tiring days of his life. It was the chivalrous thing to leave the princess with the carriage to herself, although he had been almost too tired to stay up on his horse. At least the guards and the coachmen who traveled with him had been able to rest during that day's negotiations. Charles fell asleep in the carriage as soon as they left the princess behind.

After the engagement was finalized, Charles' workload relaxed. Brasador was no longer an imminent threat, and his future marriage to a princess had the unintended consequence of strengthening his status and position on the throne. With any change in power, there are always those who would take advantage of the situation and try to take power for themselves. However, now that the tenuous peace with Brasador relied on Charles being the king, dissenters had little they could do.

As his position solidified, he came to know his council better and trusted them more with the work delegated to them. A child that behaves like an adult is still a child, and Charles could not have done it all on his own. So while he still worked many hours, he was able to spend a fair amount of his youth learning, or playing and riding with Thomas. He even made some other friends, though they were few. Tom poked fun at him for being so serious, and often called him 'old man' when the two were alone.

In addition to riding together, Tom became Charles' sparring partner when he studied swordsmanship. Tom excelled, and when he was old enough, Charles made sure he was given a position in the castle guard. The other guards were naturally suspicious of the king's favorite joining their ranks, but Tom's jovial nature and undeniable talent soon brought them to his side. Eventually, he was made Captain of the Guard. Charles and Tom couldn't spend much time together in these years, but they would go hunting, or just for a ride in the woods, whenever they could.

They were on one such ride on the day that the princess was finally due to arrive at the castle.

"You're nervous, aren't you? I can tell you're nervous." Tom said.

"I am not nervous."

"You most certainly are! This is why I keep telling you to talk with people your own age."

"I do talk to people my own age. You, for instance. Not that it has done me much good."

"I don't count. Besides, I'm older than you."

Charles laughed and spurred his horse ahead, up to the crest of a hill that overlooked the castle grounds.

"What was she like, your princess?" Thomas asked when they stopped on the peak of the hill.

"I don't remember much. She was a small girl, kind of sickly looking? She seemed rather frightened of everything. Not that I blame her." He rested his arms forward on the saddle. "I shudder to think what she must have thought of me that day."

"You didn't make a good first impression?"

Charles shook his head. "It would have been impossible in that situation. To be torn away from your home and family for a boy pretending to be a king? I would not be surprised if she still resented me."

"What a romantic beginning," Tom said under his breath. Then, "Look, up the road!"

A carriage escorted by armed guards was rounding the far hill and approaching the castle. They watched in silence as it came through the outer wall and stopped at the inner gate to the keep.

The woman who stepped out was striking, with fair skin and long, dark hair drawn together loosely behind her back. In contrast, her features were soft and delicate.

"That's her," was all Charles could say. He recognized her immediately as Princess Daniela, although she was quite changed. She was not as pale or thin; instead she seemed full of health and life. Even in her plain woolen dress she was an undeniable beauty.

"You lucky son of a-" started Tom. Behind Daniela another woman stepped out, taller and with light brown hair in a long braid.

"That must be the lady-in-waiting she brought with her." Charles remarked.

"Come on, let's go greet them," Tom said at once.

"What? No, of course not."

"Why not? Aren't you the king? Can't you do as you please?"

"There is an order to these sorts of things. And besides, that would not be 'as I please'. Look at us, how could I approach the future queen looking like I just stepped out of the stables?" Charles gestured at the mud that had splattered all the way up to his white shirt.

"You look fine! Ruggedly handsome, even! Better than when you're polished and trimmed in gold and jewels."

"Well, I happen to disagree. I'm going to put up my horse and change, and I suggest you do the same. It will give her a chance to get comfortable before she has to see me. You know how busy these next few weeks will be."

Tom begrudgingly obliged, and the two men galloped around the back of the castle toward the stables.