Chapter 20: The Eastern Border

The morning was all commotion, both inside the castle and out on the field where the army was camped. The process of moving injured men and finding them somewhere to be treated was long and complicated. Supplies had to be redistributed to every company, and their ranks had to be combined with the reserve troops.

The men who came back with Charles were as war-weary as he was. The last thing any of them wanted was to go back to the battlefield before even having a chance to see their homes. But each understood that the need was great.

Daniela watched as two squires attached pieces of armor onto Charles' outstretched arms.

"Do not fret, Daniela." He had caught her staring. "Things might have been a lot worse if you had not uncovered their plan. We are prepared now. We are ready."

"I know." But it did not ease her worries.

They walked outside together, holding on to their last moment before parting. An aide walked over with Charles' horse.

"Wait." Daniela grabbed the cold steel on Charles' forearm. He faced her, and her heart pounded as she looked up at him. Quickly, she raised herself on her toes, reached her hand up to his face, and kissed him.

He froze, then leaned down slightly to match her height. He held her free hand softly.

Daniela drew back slowly and noticed the people around them watching. Charles' hand didn't leave hers.

"Come back safely," she said.

"I promise." Charles let go and mounted his horse. Horns blared and drums pounded, signaling the march to begin. Daniela watched as the field cleared. An idea began to grow in her mind that she could not shake. When the army was out of sight, she turned around and saw that Nicole was waiting for her.

"They will be alright, my lady. You will see."

"Yes, they will." Daniela took Nicole's arm and hastened back to the castle. "Nicole, will you help me?"

"What is it?"

Daniela kept her voice low. "I am going to follow them. Will you go with me? Please? I ask as a friend, not your queen."

"What? You want to follow the army?"

"Yes, it will take them three days to march to the border. If we pack now and leave this afternoon on horseback, we should have no difficulty overtaking them." 

"But why? We cannot help them."

"I know, Nicole. But I cannot bear to wait here for news from the front. I just have to see it for myself."

"No! It's too dangerous. This is not like you, Dani."

"We will not get anywhere near the fighting. We will stay out of sight, I promise. Please."

Nicole thought for a while, then sighed. "Fine. But I am dragging you back here at the first sign of danger."

Daniela kissed Nicole's cheek. "Meet me outside when you are ready."

Daniela hurried to pack, and recruited Anne's help. She would need a bedroll, traveling clothes, and provisions from the kitchen and for the horses. But first, she needed to let someone she trusted know that she was leaving.

"Queen Imelda, are you alright?" Daniela softly entered the dowager queen's chamber. Queen Imelda looked fatigued, and was dabbing at her eyes.

"I will be, my dear. It is never easy to see the people you love go into danger."

Daniela sat across from Imelda and stroked her hand.

"Was there something you came to see me about?" Imelda asked. "I don't think either of us would be up for history lessons today.".