Chapter 10: Tournament

A joust was held three days after the parade. Wooden stands were constructed around a sandy arena and nobles and commoners alike clamored for the best seats. Some even stood right against the fence, willing to get sprayed by debris if it meant they could get a better view. Dust in the air mixed with the scents of mustard seed, pepper and buttery pastry from the pies sold by vendors around the field.

Nicole curtsied politely to the ladies-in-waiting of Queen Imelda, then took her seat with Daniela's ladies. Marie seemed excited, Lynette relaxed, and poor Paulina looked like she would rather be anywhere else in the world.

They were seated directly behind Daniela and the King. Nicole watched them; they didn't say two words to each other. She was more convinced than ever that they had not consummated the marriage. If they had, surely Daniela would have said something. They had always talked about everything. The only reason Daniela would keep it private, Nicole thought, was if they had not done it, but wanted everyone to think they had. Very well, she would keep their secret.

Horns blared, announcing the start of the tournament. Cheers swelled as four knights rode out to the field in shining plate armor. Each bore a different colored flag, and their armor, shield, and horse were decorated with pennants to match. The fourth knight bore the red of the Aram royal family. Nicole leaned forward to see as he took off his plumed helm. It was Thomas Phillips, the Captain of the Guard. Applause rose around her from those seated near the Ternhaligons, and Nicole happily joined in.

Thomas tucked the helmet under his arm and thrust his flag up into the air, reveling in the high spirits of the crowd. He was so at ease, as he always was. So self-assured, but without pretension. Above all other men Nicole had met, Thomas was the most diverting; the most agreeable. He was valued by all who knew him for his skill and competence.

Nicole knew that her position as lady-in-waiting was an opportunity to make a good match. And she had met many eligible Lords and Barons in the last few days. But what could she do if none compared to the captain?

"Isn't he just magnificent?" Marie leaned over and whispered.

"What?" Nicole felt like her private thoughts had just been overheard.

"Duke Pearson." Marie sighed, gazing at the duke, who would ride under a green banner. "He must be the most handsome man in Aramdeau."

"Oh. Yes, he is very fine to look at." And he was, though seeing him gave Nicole no pleasure. Daniela had told her what he had said at the wedding, and it left Nicole with a bad taste in her mouth. But... perhaps he was simply an undeniable flirt. Nicole watched as the duke took up his lance and lowered the tip toward a group of ladies in the crowd, who each tied a ribbon around it.

Even a flirt should draw the line at the wife of his cousin, especially when that cousin was the king. Nicole had also heard that King Charles and the duke were close, more like brothers than cousins. Why would Duke Pearson say what he did about such a dear friend?

The first match was between Thomas and a knight draped in yellow. They each rode to one side of the field and took up long wooden lances. They faced each other and took off at a gallop. The pounding hooves of the horses kicked dirt into the air, and it took only seconds for them to meet in the middle, each rider lowering his lance as they rode.

Crack!

Thomas's lance hit the yellow knight's shield squarely, shattering its end and sending wooden splinters flying. Nicole noticed Daniela flinching at the strike. Daniela had never been to a joust before, Nicole remembered. In Daniela's first year at the Abbey, Nicole had snuck away with some older girls to see one. Daniela refused to join them, of course. Nicole wished she had heeded her friend, because when she was caught she was punished with scrubbing floors for a month.