Chapter 7: A Ride in the Forest

Nicole brought Daniela a simple riding dress early in the morning. It was cream with a light brown jacket. She braided Daniela's hair in two long plaits the way they used to at the Abbey, then wrapped each up and over her head like a crown. The castle was still quiet as they made their way to the front gate. Luckily, Paulina had insisted that Nicole learn the layout of the castle yesterday while Daniela met with Queen Imelda, or else they might not have made it.

Charles was waiting with another slightly taller and broader man. He could have been considered plain, especially next to Charles, but his sturdy build, rugged tan, and shoulder length hair left the impression of his being quite handsome. Both men wore loose white shirts tucked into dark pants with boots.

"This is Captain Thomas Phillips. He is the head of the castle guard, and a good friend of mine," Charles said.

"Come on, Charlie, you're making me blush!" Captain Phillips said brightly. Daniela's eyes widened, and Nicole stifled a laugh.

"I'm sorry, you'll have to excuse his complete lack of decorum," Charles said, although he did not seem much bothered. Daniela was surprised that someone who adhered to every rule and custom of civil society would permit being addressed so casually.

It was a little foggy and the air was still cold, but the bright, early spring sunshine cut right through. Nicole and Daniela walked together behind the two men, but when they reached the paddock, the captain very naturally pulled Nicole away to get her a horse, and Charles and Daniela were left together. Charles led out a sturdy brown horse, nearly as small as a pony.

"Nutmeg is the calmest horse I've ever met. She listens well, too. It's like she knows where you want to go without even leading her."

Daniela tentatively stroked the gentle horse's nose. She was not afraid of horses, but had not had much interaction with them. Most horses she saw were farm horses or powerful carriage horses.

"Are you ready?" Charles asked. She nodded, so they went around to the side of the horse. As quickly and deftly as he could, Charles held Daniela's waist and lifted her up onto the animal. She was seated side-saddle, as she'd seen ladies ride occasionally.

"You can stay this way, or bring your right leg over and ride astride. Your skirts should have enough room to do that. It won't make much of a difference today; I'll be leading you the whole time."

Truthfully, Daniela was a little afraid to move at all. From the ground it didn't seem that high up, but it certainly felt high now. "I'll stay like this. Perhaps another time."

"Alright, then bring your legs forward as much as you can, and hold tightly to this here." He grabbed the horn of the saddle to show her, then stepped back and held the horse's reins. At a snail's pace, he led Daniela and her little horse in a circle around the paddock. Daniela was fixated on her hands on the saddle and not falling, but she caught a glimpse of Nicole and Captain Phillips. They were both trotting easily around the other side of the yard. When did Nicole learn to ride? There'd been no horses for them in Kernwith.

"Do you think you're ready to ride out on the path?" Charles asked. "It won't be much different than this."

No, she thought. "Yes," she said.

Charles wrapped the reins around the saddle. He waved the captain over to stay with her while he got his own horse. He also brought a long lead to attach to Nutmeg's harness that he could hold along with his own reigns.

Nicole and the captain led the way down the path, and Charles and Daniela followed slowly. Daniela would have found it awkward to be the least capable rider of the four had she not been so focused on staying aloft.