Chapter 5: Ternhaligon Castle

"Your Highness, it is an honor to welcome you to Ternhaligon Castle." Baron Lansing greeted Daniela and Nicole kindly when they arrived. Daniela had corresponded briefly with the Baron to discuss details concerning her travel and arrival.

With him were the three ladies who would form the rest of Daniela's retinue. Lady Lynette was the youngest of the three and about Daniela's age, and appeared to be quite fashionable. Her bright blue gown would have been gaudy on most people, but it offset Lynette's golden hair beautifully, and on her it looked perfectly appropriate. Knowing nothing of courtly fashions, Daniela hoped Lynette could be of some help.

Lady Marie was shorter and fuller than the other two, and she kept her curly brown hair pulled back loosely. "I am so delighted to meet you both," Marie said, curtsying to Daniela, and shaking Nicole's hand genially.

"It is an honor to meet the Princess of Brasador." Lady Paulina was the eldest, and wore a disapproving scowl at all times. Daniela had been told to expect that one of her ladies was to be sent from the Brasadoran court, and she knew at once that it was Lady Paulina. Her eastern accent was thicker than Daniela's had ever been, even when she still lived there. Apparently she was chosen to help Daniela adjust to life at court as a Brasadoran in Aramdeau. Having lived in the country for a decade, however, Daniela thought she may have to do more to help poor Paulina than the other way around.

"We will take you to your room, Your Highness," Paulina announced. She was definitely used to having her own way, and being in a new country was not going to give her pause. They went up the stairs and into the west wing, which was only used by the royal family and their companions.

"I will take Lady Nicole to her room, and Lynette and Marie will help you to dress." Paulina announced again. She's certainly efficient, Daniela thought. Lynette and Marie took Daniela to one of the big ornate doors that lined the hall.

Pushing it open, they revealed the most splendid bedroom she had ever seen. Two enormous windows stretched down to the floor on the wall opposite the door. To the left stood a huge four-poster bed with a delicate white canopy draping over the top. The wall behind the bed was entirely covered by bookshelves full of more books than Daniela had ever seen in her life. She could tell at a glance that they were not dusty tomes that no one cared for; many of them were new and the rest were well-loved. There were story books, plays, and novels that she had never been allowed at home, and only rarely got a chance to read at the Abbey. She could not wait to show Nicole.

On the right was a comfortable sitting area, and separately a desk full of fine stationery, ink and delicate quill pens of every variety. She would write to the Reverend Mother and all of her friends in the north as soon as she had a chance. The best part of the room was the artwork. Every piece of bare wall was filled by a beautiful painting. In Brasador, she could only remember seeing portraits around the castle of people she had never met. At the Abbey, a simple and humble life was valued, so no artwork was displayed except for a few religious works. These paintings were not the humorless portraits she was used to; there were landscapes and flowers and animals and scenes of people living and enjoying themselves. Daniela was no artist, but she loved beautiful things, and could not have thought of a better way to decorate a room.

"It's lovely," she breathed.

"Isn't it?" Marie replied excitedly. "I heard that the king chose everything for this room himself."

"Is that so?" Lynette laughed. "I've never heard of a man going to such lengths."

"It's true! I heard it from one of the servants. His Majesty has been collecting books and paintings for over a year now."

"Well, we cannot all be so lucky," Lynette sighed. "The bath is over here to the right." She pointed towards the door in the middle of the far right wall.