Chapter 16: No One's There

When Gregory walked out of the stairs from the basement of Roxy Raceway, Freddy was quick to find him. Gregory's frightened, confused, and desperate eyes that defined his mood just six hours ago was replaced by a cold, dead, and exhausted look. In six hours, he had witnessed so many things. Any child his age would have broken down, but being a homeless boy, Gregory was barely phased.

   Freddy could tell, just by looking at Gregory's small shadows, that he had seen a lot of twisted  things, including something recently.

   "Gregory... are you okay?" Freddy asked in a concerned tone of voice.

   "I'm fine," Gregory spat. Freddy was taken aback by his sudden sharp voice. He was upset that his FRIEND was talking like that to him, even if he knew something was wrong.

   "Gregory, I know that you are upset right now, and you just want to leave..." Freddy tried to reason.

   "Upset? THAT'S THE UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY!" Gregory yelled. Fury overwhelmed his vision and he started to see red.

"Gregory!" Freddy said sharply. But, being conscious of the situation facing them, he softened his voice.

"I am sorry... would you like to talk about it?" he asked gently.

"No," Gregory sighed.

"It makes you feel better!" Freddy said persuasively. He knew something was wrong with his Superstar, and he wanted to fix it before all THAT began, but he knew Gregory needed to air out his anger now.

"Well, I just want a place to stay! Everywhere I go, nothing good EVER happens. Both my parents died in an accident, I was stuck in that abusive orphanage for YEARS, and by leaving, I lost the only friend I ever HAD in there. In school, I never had a friend, because everyone liked to make fun of me for being homeless. CASSIE was the only one who didn't, and she's GONE at the orphanage. I lost EVERYTHING. And I didn't stop there. I let Cassie's father die, and I don't even REMEMBER it. I didn't know he existed until today! I thought Cassie was an orphan too! You think it was easy for either of us to leave Chica behind? You think it was easy for me to leave you?! I've let so many people down, and after everything we've been through tonight, I'll go to Hell before I leave YOU behind!!!" Gregory ranted. After he yelled at Freddy angrily, he couldn't breathe. He quietly gasped for air, and collapsed against the wall.

Gregory was absolutely dead. He was drained emotionally, physically, and mentally. All of that anger, he had been bottling up for many years now.

As Gregory was slanted against the nearby wall, Freddy looked down at him. Freddy knew this kid had gone through torture his entire life. And in a way, he could relate to him. He was never homeless because by the time everything bad began to happen, he was almost old enough to sustain himself, but he understood what it was like to lose family.

Freddy's mother was murdered by his own father, his sister was killed in an accident and became an animatronic, and Freddy was the one responsible for the death of his own brother. Evan's blood was on HIS hands. And to this day, it was screaming out from the ground to the Lord. Freddy was ready to confess to Gregory who he really was.

"Gregory, I couldn't possibly understand everything you're going through, but I do have something to get off my own chest as a matter of fact..." Freddy began in a worn voice. However, before he could talk, the lights abruptly shut off.

"Oh, drat! How long have we been here? Come on, we need to get to a recharge station! Don't worry, this is the last time tonight we will have to do this," Freddy said nervously. Freddy scooped up Gregory from the ground with his handless arms and ran across the Raceway until he got to the Party Garages. Then, he let Gregory down in the recharge station. For the next ten minutes, they were confined to that red tube.