Chapter 9

Cross's surprise appearance to both Zestial and Carmilla was shocking, to say the least. Zestial hummed as he stood up and approached Cross, sensing an entirely new energy about him.

"How did you do that? You completely hid your presence!" Carmilla's surprise couldn't be hidden by Cross's magic trick.

"A magician never reveals his tricks, ruins the performance," Cross noticed Zestial circling him as he looked at the dark cloaked overlord.

"Tell me, Cross, since we last saw one another, it had only been a couple weeks or so! Do tell, what exactly happened to cause such an...interesting change about your energy?" Zestial questioned, curiosity swimming in his eyes.

"Still just me, Zestial. You could say I had a chat with an old friend and it was eye opening...to say the least. But I'm not here to catch up. Carmilla, I need to ask you a couple questions." Carmilla's surprised look left her as quickly as it had appeared.

"I don't have to answer any questions you have for me, Cross. But please, explain why-" BANG! Before either overlord could react, sage and phosphorus filled the air, and a bullet hole was now clearly ran through the wall. Carmilla's cheek had a clean cut on it as her red blood flowed down her cheek. Cross held the smoking firearm in his hand as he glared at the overlord in front of him. Zestial saw the wound Carmilla had and began building up his power around himself.

"Cross, I implore you-!" Zestial was cut short by Cross igniting his sword and pointing it at Zestial's throat, Zestial feeling the heat of the blade under his chin.

"There will be no imploring," Cross pulled back the hammer on his pistol. "This will go one of two ways. One, I die, and take either Carmilla or you with me, Zestial. Two, you two cooperate with me and I will bring no harm to you, or your daughters, Carmilla." Carmilla held the wound on her cheek as her glare intensified. Cross was different, he didn't have his earlier diplomatic attitude, he was quicker to his gun, and now, he was threatening the lives of the people Carmilla cared about. Just what had changed in those two weeks Cross was gone for?

"What do you want to know?" Carmilla asked as she lowered her hand, her daughters now next to her in fear of Cross.

"Hellfire. You said they were still in an experimental phase. You're lying. By how accurate your daughters fired those bullets and the heat I felt coming off of the ammunition, those weapons are nearly perfect. I'm guessing the reason more haven't been reported is because you don't know how to produce the bullets, do you?" Zestial eyed Cross and felt a bit of nostalgia over this, noting his willingness to kill but also his desire for information. Zestial wanted to disarm and incapacitate Cross but his instincts told him that wouldn't be possible, so he kept quiet and listened closely.

"No, the bullets are not of mine or my daughters make. Whoever created them is a skilled enchanter," Carmilla bristled, revealing this information angered her but she was in no place to voice her opinions.

"What is your current supply of those bullets?" Cross asked. Carmilla kept quiet, staring at Cross with a hard expression, not wanting to disclose all her information. Cross let out an audible growl as he turned the gun to Carmilla's daughters. They both gasped and Carmilla extended her arms out to shield them from Cross. Zestial's power swarmed around himself as he went to use it against Cross but his timing was too slow. The angel brought his sword down in a diagonal motion quickly across Zestials chest as the overlord gasped in pain and crumpled to the floor, holding his stinging wound as the holy light burned his skin.

"ZESTIAL!" Carmilla cried. BANG! BANG! The daughters screamed as they held their cheeks in the exact same spot as their mother. Their blood ran down their cheeks as Carmilla looked to Cross, a savage, bloodthirsty look filled them.