Chapter 8

Act One

Michael summoned a table with two chairs as he sat down and motioned for Cross to do the same. Cross did so quickly as he watched Michael summon a teapot with tea cups next, his stalwart expression never changing as he poured himself and Cross a cup of tea.

"So, been many, many years since we last talked, hasn't it?" Michael spoke as Cross gently took his teacup in his hand.

"Yes sir, ever since I completed my first round on the Pride level of Hell. When I returned, you had left, with a simple message telling Sera that I was ready," Cross took a sip of his tea as he inhaled the fragrant, wonderful smell of cinnamon and milk. "But sir, I wanted to ask, ready for what?"

"Do you know why I chose you as my student, Cross?"

"No...sir?"

"It was because you, unlike any of the other agents, had this wrath inside you, a feeling that not only could be controlled, but unleashed when the time called for it." Michael sipped his tea as Cross listened curiously. His teacher had changed his looks from before, as he had long, golden hair, a clean shaven face, rigid jaw, and calm, golden brown eyes. He wore a hoodless robe with gold accents now, long beautiful ribbons that trailed behind him when he walked.

"So, I'm to believe that you picked me because I have anger management?" The sarcasm that came from Cross shocked both himself and Michael as the two stared at each other. "A-Apologies sir..."

"Think of it as you will, but no, I did not pick you just because of that. You also had a willingness to do right, even if it meant cutting down a few or pushing others out of the way to achieve it. Ruthless, but calculated. I know your wrath derives itself from your scars and your past while you were on Earth, but to carry it with you as an angel? To this day, I am surprised you did not fall, and I am glad you didn't." Michael took a sip of his tea as Cross set down his cup, a dark gaze about his eyes.

"Why won't you tell me about how I died?" Cross asked as Michael set down his cup.

"After all I've done for Heaven, the High One, you, everyone! I've earned-!"

"You've earned nothing," Michael cut Cross off as the angel bit his tongue and looked away.

"But you do deserve an explanation," Cross looked back up at Michael, who waved his hand and suddenly, an image came up of a massive battle but the camera was too far away for Cross to see what kind.

"It was the 15th of July, 1099. Do you know why this date is so important, Cross?"

"If I recall correctly from the days I spent in Heaven's library, it was the day the first Holy Crusade retook the holy land, Jerusalem. There had never been a more glorious battle, nor a more disgusting massacre of the civilians living inside it at the time."

"Indeed, but this crusade would soon be the start of Jerusalem being under Christian control for the next two hundred years. Many were killed here..." The camera zoomed in on the battle outside of Jerusalem's walls, loud yelling as the crusaders pushed against their enemies, hoping to reach the walls and claim what they so desired. The camera suddenly panned to a crusader whose skill with his long sword earned him victory over three enemy combatants who had charged him in vain. Cross felt his mind suddenly become pierced with pain as he closed his eyes and held his head.

"Even you...Peter." Cross opened his eyes as he looked up to the screen to see the crusader take his sword and ram it through the throat of the final soldier of the three that had charged him. Pulling it out with a flick, he got blood over his face and helmet, causing him to remove the helmet that blocked his vision. Cross's eyes widened as he saw himself, bloody, bruised, dirty, sweaty, and roaring with life as he raised his sword to the air and pointed it forward, leading a charge with a few other crusaders who charged with him.