Chapter 17

Cross could only see darkness in front of himself after Raphael's fist had connected with his body, sending him away into Lucifer's walls inside his home. In the darkness, he could hear the faint whispers of voices all around him. Some were loud, others were quiet, but the one that he could hear the clearest was the most soft. His heart, which was so heavy and exhausted, heard this voice and became light, almost relieved like a burn getting ointment put on it. The voice turned into a song as he could hear it get closer and closer to him, reaching out to him. But, he was suddenly pulled back when a sharp pain pierced his head and red energy engulfed the darkness. Cross let out a yell as his eyes shot open and stared at Lucifer who released his hand.

"YOU BASTARD! THAT HURT!" Cross roared at him as Lucifer was taken back by his tone.

"Listen here, you fucking dick! While you've been snoozing, your partner has been getting his ass beat! So get the fuck out of the wall and go help him!" Lucifer yelled. Cross quickly focused back in on the current situation at hand as he did as Lucifer said. He busted himself out of the wall and flew back outside to see Raphael on top of Stone, smashing the angel's face in with the armored glove. But Raphael wasn't spotless either. From what Cross could tell, Raphael had dried blood around his head, limbs, and even his mouth which meant that Stone had put up a hell of a fight. Cross's eyes glowed gold as he shot forward at Raphael and caught his former student by surprise, sending his fist into his side and blowing him backwards off of Stone. Raphael flew across the yard as he hit the remnant of the stone gate and grunted as he looked at Cross.

"Well! How was your nap!? Good?" Raphael taunted. Cross examined Stone quickly as he could still see his partner breathing, though parts of his body were bleeding and sunk inward like his chest and stomach. Stone coughed as his bruised and battered face stared up at Cross. Cross could tell he was upset even if he never spoke it. Raphael had killed his wife and this is how his revenge was turning out?

"You got lucky with that hit, you won't get it again," Cross answered Raphael as he side eyed his weapons where he had dropped them.

"Well, I'll tell ya, it was a damn honor fighting Stone but I'm not sure what all the hype was about! I mean, sure, no one in Heaven ever beat him in a sparring match, but really? This is all he had to offer?"

"That power in your arm and in your eyes is the only reason you had a chance with him. I never realized my student had turned into such a pussy while he was down here, depending on other people's strength to win battles." Raphael's eye twitched at Cross's insult as he stood up straight, staring down his former teacher.

"Better to be a pussy and play unfair then be someone's lap dog," Raphael disappeared and reappeared in front of Cross but this time, Cross was ready. He avoided Raphael's punch with a dodge and countered with a quick forward jab, aimed at his stomach. The fist collided as Raphael grunted and began using the power he learned from Cross to try and beat him in speed. Cross also used his power to keep up with him as Raphael noticed he was steadily being outmatched. He wasn't sure how, after all, he knew how to properly use Cross's power, so why couldn't he keep up with him at the same pace?

"Hold still you-!" With a quick elbow to the eye, Cross delivered a string of attacks onto Raphael's body, aimed at the weak points he knew every angel to have. Raphael felt his nerves set on fire as he noticed Cross becoming faster and faster with each blow he made against his body. Moving started to feel like a blade was cutting through Raphael's skin as Cross held four of his fingers onto Raphael's chest and quickly brought them into a fist as he slammed it into Raphael. His heart, upon receiving the attack, exploded in his chest, causing Raphael to collapse backwards onto the ground. He clutched at his chest and spasmed for a moment before lying still. Cross glared at him with his golden eyes and after a moment of Raphael not standing up, Cross's eyes stopped glowing. He let out a desperate breath as his body was sore beyond comprehension. He had never used his power for such a long time, and now his muscles sang with pain and agony.