Chapter 10

Cross felt eyes on him as he made his way slowly down the street. Working a job that meant killing people, you pick up the trait pretty quickly. When Cross was about a quarter of the way down the street, he stopped and glanced around. No air blew, no sound graced his ears which heightened his hearing, and not a single ounce of movement was caught by his eye. Around him, tall skyscrapers and apartments stood tall, quiet, but not abandoned. Cross's eyes glowed a bright gold as he continued walking down the street. BANG! In an instant, Cross had disappeared off the street where a bullet hole now resided, and on the seventh floor of a nearby skyscraper, a shark demon held a sniper in her hands. She glanced around with her scope quickly, confused as to how Cross just suddenly disappeared.

"Where did you go?" She muttered softly. Around her was a couch, old and torn, some radio supplies, a box of holy bullets, and her pistol sidearm laying on the ground next to her.

"Shouldn't have blinked," The shark demon turned her head quickly as she saw Cross on her left as the angel he was, the ring back in his pocket. She blinked again and tried to turn her body to face Cross but she didn't get far before the lower half of her jaw was torn off her face. Blood poured down her chest as her eyes widened in pain. She couldn't even speak as she watched Cross reach into his coat and pull out his hilt before he ignited his blade. The demon watched Cross swing his blade up, slicing her skull in two, instantly killing her. She dropped to the ground as Cross released her mangled jaw from his hand and picked up her rifle.

"Definitely Carmilla's make, and high powered too. This could take out royalty and yet they're using it for sniping small fry?" Cross wondered how the demons could even load the bullets into the bolt-action chamber without burning themselves. He looked down at the deceased demon and saw silver gloves on her hands, concluding whatever the material was, it seemed to keep them safe from the holy power.

"Observant 13, come in Observant 13," A voice came over the radio behind Cross as he turned and went to it. A pair of headphones and a microphone were set in front of the radio equipment. He took off his mask and tucked it under his arm before he pressed the left headphone to his left ear.

"Observant 15, I'm not getting a response from Observant 13, please respond," Cross could plainly hear the voice of what sounded like a male demon over the radio.

"Observant 15 here, going to check on Observant 13. Heard a gunshot, potential enemy presence or she could have dozed off and pulled the trigger. Bringing BG 7 and 8 with me, over!" A higher pitched demon sounded over the radio next as Cross narrowed his eyes.

"Roger that, Observant 15. Report back immediately once you find Observant 13," Radio static went over the comms as Cross set down the headphones and returned to where the demon's corpse was. He heard footsteps approaching behind him as he turned quickly and saw a light underneath the closed door at the end of the dark room. Cross glanced around as the door opened quickly. Into the room came two silver armored individuals, followed by a small red skinned imp with black spikes on his neck. He had a similar sized radio pack on his back and held a rifle in his arms similar to the shark gal.

"We've got a body!" One of the armored individuals say as their flashlight, attached to what seemed like a modified assault rifle of sorts, shown on the corpse near the window. The imp ran to the corpse, throwing his rifle over his shoulder and kneeling down. He was immediately repulsed by the state of the corpse as he reached behind himself and grabbed a handheld microphone off his pack. The two armored guards slowly scanned the room with their flashlights as Cross was nowhere to be seen.

"This is Observant 15! Observant 13 is down! I repeat! Observant 13 is down! We have an enemy presence near the factory!" The imp yelled into the microphone. The headphones on his head were connected to the radio pack which allowed him to hear what was being said over the channel.