Chapter 18

As quick as he could, Raphael summoned four more spears above his head as he shot them at Cross, backing away to the door. Cross blitzed him while maneuvering around the incoming spears, even grabbing one out of the air and throwing it back at Raphael. Raphael narrowly dodged the spear as it flew over his shoulder before he turned back to Cross who was inches from his face now. Raphael threw his metal fist at Cross's face to blow his head off but Cross grabbed the fist and turned, throwing Raphael over his shoulder and onto the ground. Cross still had his arm in an iron grip as he brought his foot up and slammed it into Raphael's elbow, snapping the bone out of the skin and breaking it.

"FUUUCK! MY ARM!" Raphael screamed but it was cut short by Cross grabbing his neck. It was Raphael's turn to grip his arm as Cross's strength was near double than what it was before. Cross brought Raphael up to his face as he stared him down, his red eye illuminating his face.

"Oh, did that hurt? Good," Cross growled as he brought his arm back and threw Raphael at the wall in front of him. Raphael hit the wall, making an indent as he coughed and flinched. His metal coated arm attempted to heal itself but Raphael was caught off guard by Cross dashing at him and sending his foot into his chest, kicking him through the wall and outside. Raphael yelled and grunted in pain as he tried to sit up from the rubble behind him. His eyes flashed before he disappeared and reappeared behind Cross, ready to strike. But this time, Cross disappeared and reappeared above Raphael's head, with his hands on his head.

"FU-!" With a quick twist of his hands, Raphael's head ended up looking directly behind him, with Cross having snapped his neck. Raphael's eyes became dull as blood dribbled from his nose and he fell to his knees. Cross landed on his feet as he watched his former apprentice hit the floor, his body making no attempt to move. Cross glared at the sight before walking past him and outside. It was outside he would retrieve his pistol and hilt wherein he holstered his pistol and ignited his sword. He brought the blade up to his face as he saw his reflection in it, with his red eye boring into the glass-like blade. So much hatred rested in that stare he gave himself, so many lies being whispered in his ear from both Heaven and Hell.

"Your memories will slow you down..." Michael's words danced in Cross's mind as he turned back to Lucifer's manor.

"How are you an angel...?" Next came Alastor's as he began walking slowly back to the manor.

"You deserve to be in Heaven..." Michael had said.

"You gave your wife up for your religion...!" Lucifer's words had made Cross stop at the hotel, and even now, he stood still in the doorway.

"Or maybe it's the fact Heaven has given up on you...!?" Raphael's words rang in his mind like a loud bell as he approached his former apprentice while he began to regenerate.

"Never forget Cross, you're a good person..." Emily's words sang next as Cross gripped his hilt, the pure glass blade steadily gaining a tint of red to it.

"Captain Peter! It's your wife...we're sorry..." A voice Cross didn't recognize danced in his brain for just a moment before disappearing. It was that voice that resulted in Cross becoming so incredibly angry that the second Raphael's head twisted itself back into the correct position, Cross brought his foot back and kicked him in the face with the tip of his shoe. The blow blew Raphael onto his back as he grunted and groaned, holding his bleeding head from where Cross had kicked.

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness. Do you know who wrote that, Raphael?" Cross muttered as his holster lit up with a golden light.