The merchant boy, the dragon and the puppy

Chapter 2: The merchant boy, the dragon and the puppy

  “Seriously, how long will it take until we reach the next town?”

“We wouldn’t have to go though the Plains of the Lost Warriors if someone weren’t bargaining until the sunset!!”

“Hey, is it me or is it awfully quiet?”

And he was right, there was no sound, no air blowing, not even a cloud in that starry night.

“Something is coming.”

And he hit the reins heading towards the plain which stretched in front of them as they were running. And then they saw it; a huge comet was falling from the sky but instead of fire he was enveloped in light heading with incredible speed directed toward the ground.

“Did you see that? It can’t be!”

“Yes it can be!!”

   Lily opened her eyes and found herself sitting in something soft. She shook her head trying to listen something; anything that could possibly make her not feeling so alone.

“Monica? Monica where are you?” she shouted and started crawling on the ground searching for her.

Then her hand touched the tip of her head and she hugged her covering her head with her hands, she was alive that’s for sure as she could hear her breathing softly

“She has just fainted.” she thought and stood upright in a attempt to ‘feel’ the new environment she was in.  

   The footsteps made her turn quickly toward the direction the sound was coming.

“Who’s there?” she almost shouted.

The answer was unexpectedly strange, she could hear someone speaking but she couldn’t understand the language. From the voice she thought that there were two people, two men perhaps, but her fear made her kneel and hold Monica’s unconscious body in her hands.

“Lily?” she murmured “Lily where are we?”

“I don’t know but there are two men staring at us right now talking in some strange language”. Monica rubbed her eyes as she was getting up from the ground and looked in front of her.

   A boy, around 13, or 14, was looking at her intensely, with his dark brown eyes. He wasn’t really tall with brown short hair and clothes in dark colors with a cape covering his body. Next to him there was a black puppy with red eyes, like rubies sniffing at them.

“Lily those are no men, it’s just a boy and a dog” she murmured to her sister.

“A boy and a dog you say? Please help me stand up.” and she turned to them hearing their breathing.

“How do you know where they are?”

“I can smell a strange fragrance coming from them, how do they look?” but before Monica answers the boy approached them and blew a strange dust at their faces.

“What is this?” Monica said as she coughed loudly.

“It is a special dust which comes from the Northern Islands, it allows you to understand the spoken language of any place.” the boy said as Monica and Lily, shocked from the explanation, looked at him, Monica straightly and Lily with her eyes closed and only her head turned to the direction his voice was coming..

“We can understand you now!” Lily said.

“Of course you can understand now! I would be inconvenient if you talked in that strange language like before!”