FIFTEEN

Sara's POV

"Hey Maria, I've tried to call but I'm guessing you're having a pretty busy time at work so I hope it's going well. I erm, got into Grossman's! Yayy. Well I got into Yale and Northwestern too- but I think we all know where I'll be accepting. I just called to let you know really- anyway I'll hopefully see you tonight. Travel safely! Bye", I decided to leave a voicemail after the seventh answer machine- this happened all the time. The only time I spoke to them was when they were home, and even then they were no longer than 5 minute conversations.

"Are they still not answering honey?", Lucilla, our maid approached me with a mop in her right hand,

"No, not yet", I sighed shaking my head at their ignorance. 

"Well I'll be the first to say that I am so proud of you! You have worked so hard to get where you are, and you'll be amazing", she bashfully complimented me, pulling me into a tight hug. 

'I'm proud of you'. It's a sentence I had never heard before. Feeling my eyes well up, I clung onto her desperately trying to re-absorb my tears,

"Thank you Lucilla, you're so kind", I sniffled glancing at the letter on the kitchen tabletop.

Today was April 9th, and I'd always remembered it as my birth mothers birthday. I often thought about her, wondering how she was doing, if she managed to get clean, if she was even a live. I hadn't been allowed any contact with them from the day I was taken away, and even after trying I was told that I couldn't reach out until I was 18.

I was going to be 18 on June 2nd, and I knew that as soon as I could I'd search for them. 

Unfortunately I'd never been adopted, so I'd never had anyone to call 'mum' or 'dad' - it's a privilege that doesn't get recognised enough- god what I'd do to be able to tell my parents that I'd gotten into medical school. 

I knew that Maria and Richard loved me, they'd tell me whenever we'd cross paths- but I never knew that they really meant it. All I wanted was to be loved unconditionally.

Scrolling through my social media, I noticed that Tyler had changed his profile picture to a selfie of him and his girlfriend. She was called 'Hannah' apparently, and had already posted at least a dozen pictures of him which I found out when stalking her profile. Rolling my eyes, I continued to scroll through my feed where Maddy's profile showed a new post of her and Jacob.

They looked as if they were at his house, I remembered the mirror in his living room. He was hugging her from behind with his hands resting on her stomach territorially. She was wearing a light pink summer dress with her hair styled into an up-do, and he was in some black shorts and a charcoal grey sports top- both were beaming from ear-to-ear. The caption read, '#meetingtheparents #youngandin-love #summerdressseason'. I cringed at the post involuntarily before turning my phone off and throwing it on the side.

I hated weekends and school holidays, all I could do was study. Maria and Richard were never here to talk to, and Lucilla only worked on Sundays. It was such a lonely household. Suddenly, my phones ringtone echoed through the kitchen- it was Emily. Pressing accept, I held the phone to my ear,

"Hey baby! How are you?", she chirped down the phone,

"Hi angel, I'm not too bad thank you, everything okay?" I replied,

"Yes everything's good! Erm, I want to go to the mall, fancy joining? ", she queried as I checked the clock which read '11.20AM',

"Sure thing", I giggled as she cheered down the phone,

"Okay! See you in 10".

•••

"Seriously, you're a life saver! Me and Ryan have been talking non-stop since Friday", Emily chirped about Ryan with a light blush on her cheeks- I was so glad to see her happy, it made me feel all warm inside.