Chapter 31: The Ambush

Christian:

It was quiet again. Dwayne hadn't sent anyone over in such a long time. Gi updated us at every chance he got and my Chloe was ready to burst. Our baby would arrive any day now. Her stomach was rounded and huge and Lisabeth had since taken to sticking to her side these days. Speaking of my angel, I was worried about the amount of school she was missing. I talked to Chloe about getting her a tutor but she was concerned that the person could turn out to be another of Dwayne's spies.

In light of it all, Carlito and Uncle Gerardo have taken up posts as Lisabeth's teachers for now. Chloe's due date was fast approaching as well. Her stomach was now twice the size it had been when I made her leave for Sicily. Miliani had a trusted nurse come over to check her out and the baby was doing fine.

Chloe, on the other hand, turned into a crazed eating machine. She had the weirdest cravings and everyone has been trying their hardest to help her fulfill them and when we can't she turns into a blubbering mess. She was about 7 months pregnant now, the change in emotions was expected but I had no idea they would be this extreme.

Lydia and Mom always laugh at me when I try to comfort her. I always end up making things worse somehow. She would end up screaming and throwing things at me before calming down and actively searching me out. Then she would latch onto me and apologize while crying some more.

Luckily, Lisabeth knew her mom was under a lot of pressure with the baby so she always picked flowers with Miliani in the garden and brought them for her. She would also scold me when she found her crying. That little girl was honestly the sweetest and I was very lucky for her to be my daughter.

"Daddy! Mommy's crying again!"

Lisabeth's alarmed voice brought me out of my head and I jumped to my feet from my seat on the living room couch. My sister who was seated beside me chuckled, not removing her eyes from the screen of her cellphone. Ignoring her, I followed my daughter up the stairs and into our bedroom, my eyes widening as I found my wife bawling her eyes out on our bed. She had a piece of fabric in her hands and she showed it to me when she noticed me standing in the doorway.

"I can't pull it up, Chris!" she wailed, "It won't go on."

Sighing, I gave my daughter a look which she immediately understood. She left the room, closing the door softly behind her while I made my way over to Chloe.

She looked up at me with teary eyes and chucked the piece of clothing in her hands to the ground. Her curls were up in a messy bun and she was in nothing but her undergarments. Her protruding stomach stood out to me, my eyes briefly glazing over the scar there before I brought them back up to meet hers.

"What's wrong, baby?" I sighed, placing my hands on her shoulders.

She sniffled and turned her face away from me, "Nothing fits. I'm fat."

Her wailing started again and I pulled her off the bed and into my arms. I held the back of her head as she pressed her face into my shoulder. I kissed her temple, my fingers curling around her widened hips while her stomach pressed into mine. I sighed, telling her what I'd had to repeat whenever she got like this. I've had a particular conversation with her over the past few weeks, reassuring her that she wasn't fat and I would never think of her as such.

Chloe was such a reserved woman. I never thought she'd be this insecure in pregnancy; at least, not after how long it took for her to see the beauty she possessed. With her fluctuating hormones, she's gone from confident to insecure to depressed and back again. Some time last week she was screaming her lungs out that I was going to leave her. It was the most heartwrenching I've ever experienced. For her best friend, my sister, however, she thought the whole thing was hilarious. While comforting my crying wife, she kept laughing at the pained look on my face.