Chapter 22: Surprises and Threats

Chloe:

Rachel and I discovered a library in the house and we decided to take Lisabeth to explore it. The little munchkin loves to read and It's something I will always support her in.

"So, how are you feeling?" Rachel asks from across me when my daughter gets lost in the book she is reading. I give her a sad smile but then I brighten up.

"You know I miss your brother. I spoke to him last night and he doesn't sound like he's doing well either," I answer with a sigh, "I think he's found a new lead on what's happening back at home but I know he won't tell me."

Rachel lets out a breath, "Roger refuses to tell me too. I swear these men always think we're so fragile." The snort that leaves her lips is enough to let me know that Rachel is more than capable of taking care of herself. well, I've always known that she can but now I know why.

I want to be strong just like her, I need to be capable just like her. She already knows what's going on in my head and the words that leave her mouth surprises me. "Christian was supposed to teach you how to defend yourself but the fucktard has been so caught up in wanting to fight for you he hasn't."

"Can't you teach me, then? Does it have to be Christian?" I ask, curiosity getting the better of me.

She sighs, "Yes actually. It's like a rule, whether you are active in the Cosa Nostra or not, all members must teach their spouses and children how to defend themselves. Christian was supposed to teach you months ago but since the bastard refuses to, I have no other choice but to break that rule."

I go to ask her what she means when we hear a panicked voice call to us. "Rachel! Chloe!" the voice sounds oddly familiar but the tone on it seems foreign.

"In here!" I call back and moments later, a frantic Miliani slams open the double doors to the library. My eyes widen when I take in her frazzled state. It seems so, not like Miliani. I remember in school, Miliani was always level headed and never showed much emotion except for annoyance or humor.

It's strange seeing her this worked up. Her feet scramble over to us and she rushes her words. "I need help!"

Rachel and I face each other and then move our eyes back to the panicking mob boss. Why does she need our help?

"I need help with girl stuff," she explains, "I think Vince is taking me out tonight."

Rachel lets out a blood-curdling squeal and I can't help the chuckle that escapes my lips as I realize what's about to happen. Miliani Hwang is about to get a 101 crash course on Rachel Humphrey.

"THIS IS FUCKING AMAZING!" my best friend screams and I slap her shoulder, narrowing my eyes and motion them to the child still sitting across from us. "Language," I reprimand and she rolls her eyes.

"Why don't you go find Grandpa?" I tell her softly and she nods instantly, running off. We turn our attention back to Miliani.

"I will explain later," she rushes as she realizes Rachel is about to ask questions, "the bastard only gave me two hours and the first one is almost up!"

A silence follows as Rachel's energy becomes dark. She stands from her place, grabbing both mine and Miliani's hand before Marching ahead of us. Miliani looks over at me with wide eyes and I chuckle trying to convey to her that everything is fine.

"I swear the men in this fucking family are un-fucking-believable. If Vince wasn't my damn cousin," she grumbles as she drags us to her room. She goes for her bag of beauty supplies and gives Miliani a level look.

"Alright, let's work some magic," she grumbles. She slams the bag on her bed and grabs a spare towel from her cabinet. She shoves it into the mob boss's hands and starts pushing her to the bathroom.